PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Can any one tell Me how to tell how old a falcon pipe is? I just ordered one from ebay, it's a bent stem, I did't get it yet all I could see from the pics. was Falcon made in Englen and on the bottom AN. One more thing what is a good tobacco to smoke in it? thanks ROD (Ace57)

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Ace, have 2 Falcons and love them both!PipeTobacco.com is the cheapest place to by them new.I have a bent that came with the DentalBit(I thought WTF)but love it.Smoke aros in it.Have a straight reg bit that I smoke non aros out of.Have 2 bowls for each and as every day smokers,can't beat em!Weez

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I'm smoking some McB Navy Flake in mine at the moment, but it really takes any tobacco I throw at it. You can make your own dry rings from pipe cleaners, btw.

unclefester13

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
I never liked the look of Falcon pipes even as a kid when my uncle smoked his I thought he looked stupid, but wait, I just got one in an estate pipe sale and thought about selling it . . . till I cleaned it up, and I am at this moment smoking it. I love it. It's not heavy and it's very comfortable. I put some Stanwell's Melange in it and it smokes great, stays cool (Maybe because of the metal base and stem) . . . no tongue bite. I even put it down for a few minutes and lo and behold I did not have to re-lit it! I guess it's a keeper. New fan to Falcons . . . I guess my uncle knew a few things about pipes and tobacco.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
AN is for Andoic - there should be a die number after it:

AN2 = 1974

AN3 = 1982
Welcome to the world of Falcons! I have a whole flock - always a reliable smoke, great for traveling (1 pipe, spare bowls). Enjoy !

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I have a half dozen Falcons and, when I'm in the mood, or just tire of my briars, they suit me nicely. There's a great book out there on the Falcon pipe: " Back From The Ashes: Uncovering the Lost History of G. L. Hunt and the Falcon Pipe" by K. A. Worth. Well worth picking up a copy.
IMAG1105-1-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I have a straight stem Falcon that Iove. At first I thought they were a bit odd, but they are just really comfortable to clench and I always get a nice dry smoke.
Lets us know how you make out!
Erps didn't see it was a 2 year old thread, but still I love my Falcon.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Got my first Falcon a few weeks ago and I'm liking it. The hygiene takes some getting used to, but it's not as fiddly as I had feared. Smokes dry and clean, sort of like a Pete system, in that the baccy at the bottom of the bowl does not get wet. Cool pipes, and oh, so British.

unit562

Lurker
Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
if you must...you can just use a pipe cleaner cut to approx 3 cms and wrapped around a pencil to shape it.
but no they are not necessary. I think they make the clean up between bowls a bit easier...but I tend not to use them.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
+1 Kashmir, that is a great book. It's also available on Kindle for like $3.00.
I always figured they were a gimmick pipe and then picked up an estate Shillelagh from my local B&M. It's like the one in Kashmir's photo but all black. Totally hooked after that. I have five stems, two all black regular stems, two black Shillelagh and a black Bantam stem with a light blue inner tube.
One good thing for the bowls is a thread spool holder you can get at craft stores. It's essentially a rack with a little piece of dowel rod that holds the spool. They fit the Falcon bowls perfectly and have the added benefit of air circulation so the bowls dry a little better. I have a 30 rack I keep my bowls on. They come in anywhere from 6 to 60 post sizes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Falcons online always make me stop and look. I'm not in the market for one, and I've never been close to buying.

But it is funny the way a particular pipe concept can sneak up on you. Lately, it's Group 1 (and maybe Group 2)

pipes. For years I breezed right past them, not even sure what they were for -- why anyone would bother to pack

such a small bowl. Then after an exchange with Fishnbanjo about his small pipes, I decided to try one and it's

really been quite a surprise. So at some point, the little metal bird may enter my life. Can't quite love it yet, the

extra trouble with the rings, the interchangeable bowls, etc. But clearly, they have won over many pipe smokers.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
mso, you do not have to use the dry rings. I find if they are not carefully places, they reduce air flow.
Ms. Worth's book states over 44,000,000 Falcons have been made. You should give one a go and see what you think. They do make all black stems which is nice as the silver ones are not that attractive. That is what actually got me to try a Falcon.

Status
Not open for further replies.