PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
For me, pipe smoking and reading go hand in glove, and judging by the "What are you reading" thread, I'm not alone. I've always enjoyed Clive Cussler's work, and was wondering if there were any other fans out there. I have my suspicions that Clive might be a pipe man himself.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'm a huge Clive Cussler fan!

I don't always have time to sit and read, but when I do, a Cussler book is what I usually reach for.

I've read about 40 of them, and I'm currently reading Havana Storm (Dirk Pitt series).

Gotta love Clive!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yeah, he's hard to beat for a good enjoyable read. I think I'm third generation; my Dad read his older stuff, I read all of his stuff, and I've got my seventeen year old son hooked on his newer stuff.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Haven't read him in a while but was a big fan. I enjoyed Dirk Pitt and the Oregon files. I even like the Sahara movie.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I too am reading Havana Storm right now. I'm almost done, and have been enjoying it. I like most of his books, but found Sahara to be one of the most far fetched. I liked the movie to some degree, but thought it was a bit miscast. Steve Zahn as Al Giordino? Really? I mean I like Steve Zahn, but that was a total miss for stocky Italian Giordino as far as I'm concerned. Fun books though.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@Orley
I'm with you on the whole Steve Zahn playing Giordino! I like him and all, but he not in the same ball park with Al.

Little Stevie Z. ain't no Big Al G. !

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I've read about 30 of Cussler's books. They're entertaining, but always so damn similar in the story plot that I have to take long breaks from him. I'm actually trying out listening to "Bootlegger" on CD currently.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I always enjoyed his books. Thoroughly entertaining. Cussler is also quite the explorer and has found many lost ships and his car collection is impressive too.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I always enjoyed the historical prelude Cussler's books started with, and wanted him to write an entire novel set in the past. The Isaac Bell series has been scratching that itch for me so far!

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
I am a huge Dirk Pitt fan....the other books have been a challenge for me to get into.
They really blew it when they did the casting for Sahara...it could have been done so much better...

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think the movie would have been great for viewers who were not already familiar with the characters. When you've read the same characters in dozens of books, the casting makes a huge difference. In all fairness, I kept my expectations of the movie following the book very low, and wound up enjoying it. I wouldn'y buy it on DVD or anything, but it was worth a watch.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I agree that the movie Sahara was more or less entertaining to watch, especially Penelope Cruz, but many go to see these movies because they have read the books, or might read the book after seeing the movie. I never expect the movie to be as good as the book, but you would think that the movie makers could at least make some attempt to cast the movie with characters that would look and act like the characters in the book. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but the one good thing I can say about Sahara is, at least it wasn't as bad a the first Cussler based movie, Raise the Titanic from about 1980. For me that was a real dog! Seems like his books would be gold mine of great story lines for a franchise like the James Bond movies. But what do I know, I'm just an old fart that couldn't make a movie with a digital camera...

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@Orley.
I first saw Sahara before I had ever read a Cussler book. I liked it when I first saw it, and I still found it entertaining after I actually read the book. But I did find it very disappointing when compared to the book.

I did think that Matthew M. made a decent Pitt, and I like Bill Macy as an actor, but I'm not sure he was right for Sandecker.

I'm also with you in that I believe Cussler's books would make for many good movies. I just think that more work should go into the casting, and that they should try a little more to stick with the books.

I've read that Cussler was not happy at all with the Sahara movie, and actually got into a huge legal battle with the production company over it (which I think he ended up losing).
Oh, and I never did watch Raise The Titanic, but I've heard so many bad things about it that I kinda glad I've never seen it.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I've been away for a while and just now been catching up on posts. Always interesting to see what's here.
RE: Cussler. I'm a huge fan. I have all off his books in first edition, and non-firsts that I read. I had the opportunity to meet Clive about 8 years ago.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I like him, and second the comments that his books are a bit similar, but for me that is part of the fun. They are like episodes in the best TV series never made (or maybe it was?). While I sympathize with this:
Only his Dirk Pitt books.
I have found some of the others to be good as well, but not as consistently so. Pitt was his avatar. Speaking of which, I like how he writes himself into many of his books for a cameo. A slight touch of postmodernism...
I'd compare him to Jack London, crossed with Michael Crichton (

Status
Not open for further replies.