PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
And if so, how good are you? And do you smoke your pipe while playing?
I suck at chess. Heck, my 3 year old grand-daughter gives me a good game of checkers.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I used to play a lot and had a bunch of games going with a friend up in Canada. Definitely a pipe smoking game. I am not that great any longer (not that I was ever great) but used to play in a local club and hit the tournaments a couple times a year.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have a Pirates of the Caribbean set that my 6 year old daughter delights in stomping me at.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I used enjoy playing chess. But, I have nobody to play with. Online and all the other ways to play chess just don't excite me. One day I'll have to find a local opponent.
Mike S.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I like chess and will play when I get a chance to. I am decent at the game but not a pro l. I do like to smoke my pipe while I play of I can it helps me concintrate on my next move.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Just about every evening I light up a bowl, pour a drink and spend about an hour playing chess on a computerized chess board in my living room that I’ve had since the mid 80’s. Beautiful large wood chess board with weighted Staunton chess pieces that I purchased separately and adapted them for this particular board. You simply move the pieces just as you would on any normal chess board. It has an expansion module in it which allows even more numerous levels and playing options (most of which I never delved into). I once out of curiosity set it on the highest Gary Kasparov level and I was checkmated in about six moves. Never saw it coming! I forget which level I have it set on, but seeing that I recently beat it two evenings in a row it’s more likely than not set on the: ‘I.Q. of an egg timer’ level. :lol:
WZR1Iqa.jpg

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Haven't played in years. I use to play regularly some tournaments. Some klieg spiel. P-k4. Shel

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Patrick asked- "Have you ever played strip chess?"
Ugh, no. The people I played chess with were guys. And if I played strip tease chess against the computer I'd have to explain to my wife why I'm sitting naked with my laptop.
Phil67 - I remember those chess boards. It's pretty impressive that you still own one. That's a great way to spend an evening.
When I play against any computer, even at the lowest level, like 1, I still get beat. It's ok when people are smarter than me. I accept that. But, when a machine out thinks me...

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I play chess when the chance presents itself. I used to play much more often. That set up Phil has looks pretty awesome. I would prefer that much more to the cell phone or computer chess.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I just can't seem to play chess on a computer for some odd reason. I think perhaps it's just the fact of staring intently at a monitor and it then bothers my eyes. That, and aside from the fact, that I enjoy the idea of 'hands on' moving the pieces.
Phil, what model chessboard is that?
I don't believe it is made any longer albeit there may be some comparable models to it if you do a Google search. Mine was made by SciSys and I think, although I may be wrong, that they still make some computer chess boards. Mine was quite expensive back in the 80's, so if by chance you find one they certainty will have gone drastically up in price (what hasn't!). But, I'm sure some are out there.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I play the computer. I basically was self taught by getting beat. Now I can win back to back once in a while. But it's on the easy setting.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
My 8 year old is going to chess club after school once a week. I am pretty proud that he dosnt let me beat him.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
I've been dabbling for years, but I've never had the time to invest in it that the game deserves. My dad and uncle and some of their friends played when I was very small, and the interest stuck. I play on my computer sometimes; it ranks me in the 780s. I also have an interest in chess equipment; collecting old English sets is a lottery hobby...

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
I was champion of my 5th grade class. :lol:

As far as pipe smoking while playing, I haven't. This coming summer I will.
I play a chess simulator called Pure Chess occasionally. It's helped me improve quite a bit. Sadly, people my age don't seem to even consider board games an option anymore. Finding someone to play with is kind of a rarity.
I'm more interested in the game of "Go" since starting college. I actually just had a conversation with my best friend about how we need to get back into games like Chess and other board games. Card games seem to slowly be coming back into dorms and lobbies so that's good.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I haven't played for years. I wish I could find a handy opponent, because computers don't do it for me.

I have enjoyed some wonderful games with some very competitive folks. I recall one game utilizing a clock, and my opponent had me mated but didn't see the move till ALL his time had elapsed. I then showed him the move to his chagrin. :D

I used to play bridge a long time ago, and found that to be stimulating for some odd reason.

I want to say that this one guy who used to stop by and almost demand that someone play him said his rating was 1500, but I don't know if that means much. That was in 1973.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
I used to play, a long time ago. Was rated @ 1993 at one time. Like many here, just don't have any local players that I know. Today, could likely fall for fools mate....

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I was playing regularly for a few years but could never get my rating to 1300. I play online with friends on a site called Red Hot Pawn. I have wanted to invest at least an hour per day to training and study but just haven't been able to do it. I am a member of 2 clubs but don't compete as much as I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.