PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I just won 2 Big Ben Select Sandblasted pipes made in the 80s. I can find nothing on any BB sandblasted pipes. Most of what I found suggests they are good to excellent smokers but the remarks are made about smooth pipes. Thoughts? I bought them because they were a bargain and the top is unsmoked.
2018-03-20-21-03-54-600x496.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Nice looking pipes. I have one Big Ben, but it's a smooth pot with nice grain. Very good smoker.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I have 2 Big Ben's, a smooth and a sandblasted. Big Ben pipes are good pipes, the only thing that bothers me is that most, if not all, new pipes are 9mm filterd. The older pipes (vulcanite) have too narrow slots, so i always widen them myself.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Big Ben pipes are made in The Netherlands, I think, and the Dutch are a culture of craft and precision. I own a smooth Big Ben churchwarden, but I would expect that any of their products would be well designed and manufactured. Getting a bargain on two pipes, one unsmoked, is a good catch. I don't think you'll have any problems with either of those.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Funny, I asked that seller for a clearer/brighter photo of those pipes, and they refused.. :roll:
It's not Big Ben branded, but I have an Amphora X-tra made by Gubbels(Same factory as Big Ben), and it's a really nice pipe.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My only Big Ben is a year old smooth churchwarden.
I seldom use it because I have to go dig out the long pipe cleaners and I never travel with it, as I envision myself sitting on it or breaking it in some similarly careless fashion.
That said, it's fun to smoke when I do. My only criticism is that, as a small, tapered chamber with not-so-thick walls, even sipping requires care to prevent overheating.
I think I'll give it a go now. At this rate, I'll have it "broken in" in another year or two... :puffy:
ben-338x600.jpg

Big Ben Elegant 529 Churchwarden
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.