PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I have some spare antlers laying around and thought I would make a tamper or two. Seems like a straightforward project. I notice, however, that most who make antler tampers use a piece of metal at the end (usually the cartridge brass). is this necessary? Or will using the bare antler to tamp burn the antler?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I use lots of materials to make tampers. If I think the material burns well, like oak, I might leave off cap. If I don't know or don't want to find out how it burns, I use a metal cap or cartridge. Obviously, if your tamper catches fire, you are doing something very wrong. But do you want to smell / taste burning antler?
Winton

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Winton: no, not keen on burning antler taste. Not sure it would actually burn though. I'll experiment and see what happens with plain antler. Can always cap if experiment fails.
Teddy and Burl, I'll let you know when I make some.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Nope, not an issue, leave it naked !
Antler is ALL I use, never had a problem, just wipe clean with paper towel to clean up.
You can see mine on the Tamper/Tools thread.
Once you get the rough shape you want, use Swiss files to embelish
Tom

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
There used to be a Gent who went by Papa Duke who made antler tampers,mostly without a tip if I remember correctly. Looks like his website is no longer up and running. As long as the tamper is not subjected to prolonged contact with the burning tobacco it should work fine. If you smell burning hair....

I prefer to use a shell casing or a brass tip I make on mine.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Thanks Tom! I'm looking forward to getting started. Unfortunately my to-do list is pretty large, especially during kidding season (goats). But I'm going to squeeze it in during the evenings.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Here is a tamper I built last spring out of a spike antler and the rim from the cartidge that I shot my first deer with years ago. I recessed the rim into the antler so it doesn't show, and I cut the antler on the bias for two reasons. First, so I could hide a pick in the tamper, and second, so I could use the cut end as a beveled tamper.
I made the same design for my father, but I left the base natural antler, uncapped. There have been no problems with the antler touching embers.

Good Luck
tamper-1-448x600.jpg

tamper-21-600x448.jpg

tamper-31-448x600.jpg

tamper-41-448x600.jpg

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
That's a fine tamper bull. Very cool.
Perique good luck! Post up a picture when you make your antler tamper.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Perique,
I used a piece of stainless welding rod. After I epoxied it into the tip I gave is a very slight bend. That bend will lock 'er in.

Status
Not open for further replies.