Antique Store Treasure Find This Weekend!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Evening everyone this weekend my wife and I scored big on some pipes. We found 2 Ruthenberg Billards smoked lightly, J Davis Friar D07 billard, 2 Savinelli Aligator series and Stanwell Tom Eltang Design 1992 billard, and a Peterson Killarney. All pipes were sold to us at $25each!!! plus they sold us a 48 pipe display stand for $10! It was Christmas day for me yesterday :) I have a question hopefully someone can help. How do I restore a sandblast finish? I've never done one before. Any help would be appreciated
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rgvstchog/albums/72157686842493811
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
That is the score of the year, man. Congrats!! I am amazed that the link worked. You must practice voodoo. lol.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Excellent Score!! :clap: I don't know how to restore a sandblast. I don't think you can unless you are sandblasting it as well. Cleaning them, you can gently use a soft toothbrush with very mild soap and water, but NO abrasive or chemicals (no alcohol or acetone) that would remove the finish. From the pictures you posted, they look to just need cleaning and a couple may need some work around the rim of the bowl, and possibly near the stem. George D has wonderful step by step restorations on his site that may be of some use to you. Please, practice on cheap, throw-away pipes before attempting restoration on these. Maybe take the money you saved and have them done by an expert. This is an excellent site. I highly recommend browsing through it. You should find what you are looking for here...

https://rebornpipes.com/2015/08/09/ashton-old-church-re-imagined-by-george-dibos/ :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Holey moley. Some people just have the right antique stores in their areas. My antique stores, the proprietors look at me like I'm asking about sex toys. I guess this area was all about cigarettes, and pipes just didn't get much attention. Anyway, your experience is a dream come true. Pipes plus a stand for yard sale prices. Wow-wow.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Thanks everyone! I'll post pictures of the display stand once I finish restoring the finish

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Whoa...
You shot and scored, pal.
I wasn't familiar with the Ruthenberg marque until I read your post. (But I am smart enough to appreciate a brilliant ring blast and I'd of been all over yours like a cheap suit.
You did good, Deleon!
Pffft on the Peterson, but those two Savs and the Stanwell are just 75 bucks of gravy on 500 dollars of biscuits.
Nice.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.