PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I'm putting this in the general pipe forum because I think this is a pretty cool old timer and probably more people will see it here.

I got this pipe in the mail today and was excited to get started on cleaning it up. The ornate cap and band look like something that would have come out of India during the Raj. Of course in that case it would be hand made with precious metals. This appears to be stamped and plated. Probably American made. Even so it's one of the higher end more ornate models. At first I thought the lower section showing flowers was tarnished silver. After cleaning it appears to have just been really dirty. The whole thing looks to be brass plate. Looking at the pics, I think I need to figure a way to get into the crannies and get it really clean. It's been banged around a bit but still looks pretty good.

The stem is a reddish amber Bakelite in a color That is unusual. The barrel isn't quite cylindrical making me think it was hand shaped. My guess is that it's a replacement for an original amber stem.

The body has a good coat of wax. I elected to just clean off some of the dirt and leave the scratches. For now anyway.

I'm sure this pipe came with a case when new. But I don't have it. It's impossible to say who made it without seeing a case logo. It could have been any of the big companies doing business around 1900. I'll bet it was expensive! It smokes good. The wide chunky bit makes it good to clench.
Here's what I saw when I opened the box:
Chunky%20Ornate%20Meer%20Before_zpswqgtjtms.jpg

After cleaning the bright work:
Chunky%20Ornete%20Meer%201_zps19vxbszp.jpg

Top view. It's a sharp looking pipe.
Chunky%20Ornate%20Meer%202_zpsebsgmsqp.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Don't know what you used to clean the metal work with but with vintage fly fishing tackle, that is reels, ferrules and rod furniture I use Nevr-Dull, it can be found at Ace Hardware and it is pretty cheap considering a container will more than likely last a lifetime and it is not abrasive. It leaves a telltale whitish coloration that can be buffed out with a rag and if still in a crevice a water moistened Q-tip should work fine, beauty of a pipe.

banjo

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Yeah banjo, I use Nevr-Dull or Brasso Magic Wadding (same stuff). I need to use q-tips and alcohol to get all the dirt out of the crannies on the lower portion. That's drudge work. Looks decent as is, but I can do a little better.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
What a marvelously charming pipe, xrundog. The silver work is so intricate and I love the stem color and it is not even chipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.