PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flippinbird87

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2012
Late last week I went to the local "doc-in-the-box" for nasal congestion, and was diagnosed with a sinus infection. I was given some antibiotics and a nasal spray. Soon after popping my second pill I noticed my pipe tobacco was tasting flat and off. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience, and how long it takes for one to get "back into the game" after the last pill?

sebert81

Lurker
Feb 4, 2013
Same goes for Ibuprofen and other similar light narcotics.

But don't worry, it's usually nothing a night of sleep won't fix ;-)

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Depends on if your nasal spray has Zinc in it our not. Zinc can remove sense of taste and smell if taken to much. I doubt though you got prescribed a nasal spray with zinc. I am thinking Fluticasone (flonase) and probably amoxicillin or some sort. But yeah it is most likely a temporary thing. If it last much longer you could call the doc if you are worried.

flippinbird87

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2012
bigboi, yep i am on flonase and some sort of antibiotic named Clam Am, which I have never heard of. Good thing this is temporary! Thanks all, and happy puffin! :puffpipe:

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
After a hernia surgery I came home to find Scotch tasting terrible. But then I found that Cognac tasted better. It all straightened itself out in a couple of weeks. By the way, this is my 100th post.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
It could be the medication, or it could be the congestion. As your body heals it begins to do a better job of expelling the offending materials and this can coat your nerve ending in your nose thus causing a lessening of taste and smell (which of course are related).
I have found that the use of a neti pot can help relieve this condition if it is caused by the nasal discharge. If it is the antibiotics then you will just have to give it time.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Antibiotics can wreak havoc on various body systems, as they don't differentiate between the microorganisms that are making you sick and the ones that you actually need for proper digestion, etc. And anything that affects the nose and/or the sense of smell is going to have some impact on taste, as the two senses are very closely linked.
Several folks in here have mentioned that they simply don't smoke if they're getting over a cold or flu - the effect on the sense of smell affects their enjoyment of tobacco, and I have to say I've found that to be the case myself. Fortunately, it all sorts itself out in a few days (or weeks, if it's a bad one...).

Status
Not open for further replies.