PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I am interested in surveying various styles of tobacco. I know some folks dedicate a pipe for each tobacco at one extreme, and others have one pipe and just load it up with whatever is at hand with no worries.
Greg Pease, in an article, mentioned in passing that a compromise was to dedicate pipes to certain styles of blende. Perhaps the simplest might be a set of pipes for aro's and another set for non-flavored tobaccos.
I would welcome suggestions and thoughts on this. For example do I dedicate pipes for VaPers, another set for VaLats, and another for English styles? How about for straight Virginias, for burleys and Cavendish's?
thanks

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I kinda dedicate pipes to certain blends. I have only one pipe I smoke aromatics in, and never will a non-english blend be lit in that pipe. I rarely smoke aromatics so it's not an issue with me. I think if there is a such thing as a ghost, it would be from the aromatic entity.
I wouldn't worry too much about ghosting within the non-english category with the exception of latakia, and perique heavy blends. I would dedicate a pipe to only smoke blends that are lat bombs, or perique grenades. You might get some crossover during a burn of a straight VA. You could even reserve a couple of cobs for those blends too, if you were so inclined. They tend to be a type of pipe that's harder to haunt.
That's the guidelines I use, and it's worked for me thus far.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
When I started, I decided to take Greg Pease's suggestion and dedicated one pipe to aromatics, another to Latakia/English blends, a third to Va/Pers, and another to Burleys (okay, technically more than one pipe - I got in a bag of MM seconds, and dedicated a few of those as well). This had less to do with any fear of ghosting than it did with my knowledge that my palate was not accustomed to tobacco at all - so until I learned the basics of the major varieties, it seemed reasonable to me that keeping major differences separate in different pipes made sense while I learned what distinguished an English from a Va/Per, for example, and that way I could try to focus on the more subtle differences between blends without worrying about the effect that switching pipes might have.
Now that I've got a little more experience, I'm not as concerned about mixing it up some. I'm using Burleys to break in a couple of pipes, as they're nice and mellow - once they're broken in, I'll probably just see what works best in them and smoke that, rather than continuing any specific dedication.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Aro = Flavored tobaccos

Va = Virginia

Va + Perique = Va/Per

Va + Latakia = English

Va + Oriental/Turkish = Oriental

Va + Oriental/Turkish + Latakia = Balkan (possibly w/out Virginia)

Va + Oriental/Turkish + Latakia + Cavendish = Scottish
Maybe 4 sets of pipes:

1. Aromatics,

2. Latakia/Balkans/English,

3. Perique blends,

4. Virginians/burleys
Maybe just three if Latakias/Periques could be safely combined?

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I do have 3 pipes for Dunhill Night Cap only, 2 pipes for PS LBF only, 1 pipe for PS LTF only

and 3 pipes for lane 1Q only.

Last of pipes are dedicated by ARO or VAPER or ENGLISH blend.

By means? no. since I do have over 70 pipes I do have lot of choice.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Hi Brass,
It comes down to experience and personal taste.
I don't rigidly lock myself into any particular type of blend for a specific pipe but I do know what combinations work well. I'm more concerned with the ghosting of a tobacco that will affect that pipe with the tobaccos that I normally use it with.
I have pipes that I can alternate blends with latakia and ribbon cut virginias but I tend to smoke flakes in the same pipes but would only use one pipe for heavy ghosting blends like 1792 flake. I have an advantage in handling my pipes this way because I don't smoke aromatics.
Whatever works for you is what you should do and if you don't experiment then you won't discover what blends a pipe is best suited to.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
After consulting with Jeremy at SmokingPipes, I've refined my Anti-Ghosting, Pipe Dedication plan.
Pipe sets for

1. Aromatics

2. Latakia/Balkans/English

3. Perique blends

4. Virginians/burleys/Orientals

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Brass:
The only comment I'll make on your list is that if you want to truly get a handle on these different flavors, I wouldn't smoke orientals in the same pipes I'm using for straight VAs and Virginia/burley blends. Otherwise, I think you've got a solid approach that should allow you to get the most from each of these blend types. (The only thing you're missing is a slot for Lakeland blends. But if you're not interested in those, then it doesn't matter.)
My personal approach is very similar to what you're planning. I've got separate ranges of pipes dedicated to each of these seven categories: English, Balkan/Orientals, Straight Virginias, Virginia/burleys, Lakelands, aromatics, and finally -- the only pipes dedicated to a specific, single blend -- Penzance. (I almost never smoke perique, so I don't need a category for that.)
Bob

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thanks, Bob and All. I'm sure that this might be one of those questions that will produce a different answer for each person asked. I just need to keep in mind that I want to 1. Apply KISS principle. 2. Not stink up my pipes my mixing vile combinations.
So, with that in mind:
1. Aromatics/Cavendish

2. Latakia/Balkans aka English

3. Orientals/Turkish

4. Virginia/Perique

5. Virginia/Latakias

6. Straight Virginians/burleys
MM for Lakeland blends, at least until I try a few of them.
Now lets see if my starting tobaccos fit with my starting pipe collection
Aromatics

Sutliff Molto Dolce

7 Seas Black

Lane Limited - 1-Q (Have to try it for nothing other than it is a touchstone among the BOTL - whether you hate it or love it
Latakia/Balkans aka English

GL Pease Sextant

GL Pease Westminster (Balkan)

GL Pease - Lagonda (Balkan)

GL Pease Picadilly (English)

Sutliff Balkan Luxury (English)

GL Pease Gaslight (English)

Dunhill - My Mixture 965 (English)
Orientals/Turkish

GL Pease Embarcadero

Robert Lewis - Orcilla Mixture
VaPerique blends

Escudo (VaPer)
Virginians/burleys

GL Pease Jack Knife Ready Rubbed (VA/burley)

Samuel Gawith - Navy Flake (VaLat)

Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flakes (Straight VA)

GL Pease Union Square (Straight VA)

C&D (Straight Virginian)
I'm wondering if VaLats can live VaPers in the same pipe?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"I'm wondering if VaLats can live VaPers in the same pipe?"
I would say yes. But I'm not sure what would qualify as a Virginia/latakia that wouldn't also qualify as an English. "Anniversary" is a fantastic VA/Lat blend that I've smoked in my English pipes -- and it's still able to shine through as a wonderful, wonderful blend.
I'll also just say that you may want to try Embarcadero in your Virginia pipes as well as in the Oriental pipes. It's been a while since I had a tin, but I thought the orientals in the blend were deep in the background; it was a much more Virginia-forward blend to me. But, of course, your mileage may vary!
Bob

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Bob, you're spot on. No difference between VaLat/LatVa blends and English. As a matter of fact, Latakia Blends alone should suffice, without the English label, at least according to some well known tobacconists.
Thanks for pointing out the redundancy point. :?
1. Aromatics/Cavendish

2. Latakia/Balkans aka English

3. Orientals/Turkish

4. Virginia/Perique (VaPers)

5. Straight Virginians/burleys

6. Lakelands?

I don't notice Perique ghosting any, but maybe I just don't mind it if it does. So, I have Va/VaPer pipes, which for me includes VaOrPers and VaBurpers. And, I have a set dedicated to latakias, which has had to grow a bit since I've been exploring Balkans. And, I have a few pipes for aromatics. I also keep a set for VaBurs, like ODF and PS Dark Fired, etc...
I try to have a selection of styles in each genre, so my pipe collection continues to grow.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
"But I'm not sure what would qualify as a Virginia/latakia that wouldn't also qualify as an English"
I was just labeling some jars and encountered SG Navy Flake. Ingredients are Virginians with Latakia. Would this be considered an English blend? Maybe not because of no orientals. Have a feeling that answers to this question will vary by the smoker but would like opinions.
I would probably smoke in my Lat pipes regardless of the tobacco classification.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I was just labeling some jars and encountered SG Navy Flake. Ingredients are Virginians with Latakia. Would this be considered an English blend?

First thing to remember is that "English blend" is an American term. Across the pond they simply refer to blends with or without latakia.

I don't smoke Va/pers, and I don't smoke aros. This leaves me with two rotations - one for blends with latakia, and one for blends without. I have one dedicated pipe - a Stanwell that only gets McCranie's Murdock's Pipe. :puffy:

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I don't notice Perique ghosting any, but maybe I just don't mind it if it does. So, I have Va/VaPer pipes, which for me includes VaOrPers and VaBurpers.
+1 cosmic, although I do keep in mind some advice I know Bob gave on another thread, which is that you will probably have to smoke three bowls or so of the same tobacco in the same pipe to really start getting all the nuances. At this point, my technique and palate probably have some improving to do before I'm really getting everything a blend has to offer, anyway, but I don't get any "ghosting" or cross-over from using the same pipes for all non-Latakia, Virginia-based blends.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I honestly wouldn't worry about it so much in the beginning. I would try to keep aros separate and anything with latakia separate. Other than that smoke away. Sure there are a few out there that give folks hesitation, 1792, erinmore, royal yacht, etc. but you can always grab a few cobs for those that you are hesitant about.
I still enjoy an aromatic now and again and have 3 cobs for those urges. I am not a big fan of latakia so I only have one pipe for those blends. I keep a spreadsheet of the rest of my pipes and document when I have a really good smoke from a certain blend and a certain pipe. I guess over the years I have developed a "what smokes good in what pipe" sort of thing that works for me. Since I have narrowed what I enjoy by blend and pipe my problems are solved so to speak. :) Any new blend or something I am not sure about goes into one of two meershcaums that I have and if I decide it is something I like it goes into the spreadsheet for further analysis.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Brass:
Well, the easy answer is, "Smoke Navy Flake and decide for yourself which category it belongs in."
For me, there is such a tiny amount of latakia in it that I doubt you'd even know it's there if you weren't told about it. It just adds another dimension to what I consider to be a traditional Navy flake. I consider it a VA/burley flake, even though it has a tiny amount of latakia and rum. (You'll notice the rum more than the latakia, IMO.)
And you thought this was a "simple" approach to pipe dedication! :)
Bob

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Quoting Bob: And you thought this was a "simple" approach to pipe dedication!
Thanks for reminding me of the mission. For now, will go with PeteGuy and keep pipes for Lats; Aros; and the rest. As has been mentioned, I can smoke through it if there is any ghosting - or just dedicate the ghosted pipe to the same blend.

(Except Lakelands. If I try those, will get some cobs for the purpose.)
My mind is made up - at least until the next post.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I've been finding that certain pipes that I dedicated to VaPers have such a lovely cake.
I've taken a couple and put some cube cut S&G BBF in them. The result is one of the sweetest wonderful flavors I've ever experienced.
That's my pallet though

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Here's my breakdown. It works for me. Hope it helps!
Randy Wiley- only ever gets orlik golden slice. That's it. One time I slide a disk of escudo in there and I should be shot for it!
Lat blends- Savinelli 320 ks and a Paulson Devil Anse

VaPer- sav 802 Ontario, and a Paulson that's on its way

VaBur- sav bings favorite, roma paneled billiard with a bowl so big it eats my thumb

Deertongue- roma bent billiard.

Dark fired blends- Nording churchwarden and a Sav bent billiard

Aros- a calabash
I don't mind a hair of ghosting, so if a blend has a mild topping on it I'll still smoke it in one dedicated to the tobaccos in the blend. Example- mans best friend goes in the lat pipes. University flake goes in the bing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.