PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diverdoc

Lurker
Jun 28, 2014
I’ve seen many nice renditions of the “Devil Anse” pipe as smoked by Kevin Costner on screen, but I haven’t been able to find any photos of Anse himself with a pipe. Have any of you seen one?

Jan 8, 2013
My understanding is that Devil Anse isn't known to have smoked a pipe, but that Kevin Costner added that little bit himself. Of course after the miniseries came out, pipe enthusiasts went googoo gagga over the little pipe and it became an overnight sensation. Pipe makers came out of the wood work and started making their own versions of it in order to get in on that piece of pie while it was still hot. And the rest is history... well, altered history.... sort of.
Edit to add: My favorite, by the way, is the Moonshine Pipes Deviled Egg. A beefier version of the Devil Anse shape.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My favorite, by the way, is the Moonshine Pipes Deviled Egg.
I know the company has changed hands now, but when I purchased my Anse from them it was a shitshow. The pipe was a mess and "lost in the mail". I then recieved a new pipe, smoked it once or twice and gifted it away.

Jan 8, 2013
I know the company has changed hands now, but when I purchased my Anse from them it was a shitshow. The pipe was a mess and "lost in the mail". I then recieved a new pipe, smoked it once or twice and gifted it away.
My understanding is Jonathan Lavezzo really pissed a lot of people off. Personally, I chatted with him a few times and he seemed like a straight up guy. I watched him carve a blowfish live on Facebook and he certainly had talent. But that shit show you talk about, when it blew up, was all over Facebook, so I believe you. People ordered pipes they never received, empty promises to make it right, etc., etc. Honestly, I think it's a shame. My Deviled Eggs were both made by him before he sold to Briarworks, and they are two of my all time favorite pipes. Fantastic smokers, the both of them. So I was excited that Briarworks finally decided to re-release the shape. I still haven't purchased one of theirs but I certainly will eventually.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I own a Briarworks Billiard and I'm happy with it. Very happy.
For Devil Anse I greatly prefer my Eric Paulson's and my Ryan Alden's.
Edit: I don't have Facebook but would've loved to climb on the shitshow boat and drop and anchor. That dude told me on a phone call a complete stack of bullshit. That's why I got rid of the pipe. Couldn't even stand having the association in my presence.

xingpao

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2019
I have a Moonshine deviled egg but dropped it and nicked the lip of the stem. I need to take it by Briarworks, but they did not sound like they wanted to do it.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Just for curiosity, I went through the online images of Devil Anse and I didn’t even see that any of his family was smoking either.

The closest I saw was a picture of him standing next to an unidentified man with a cigar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I thought the TV drama version was rather romanticized inasmuch as the story would bear. A lot of fairly random murder going on, but filmed with a sort of gangland style that made it seem tragic rather than just squalid, which it more than likely was. A death fetish, suicide projected upon others, as seen in so many "movements" today.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Peterson's catalogue, 1906:

l-m-and-s.jpg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I liked the series. Kevin Costner got famous playing good guys, but is much better at playing cynical tough guys, bad even.

The pipe is nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.