PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I think Peterson's does the best job of sandblasting on the planet. Never overstated, never too deep. Always just right to my eye.

So... After talking herself out of the old style smooth 305 I posted the other day, I did my best "Honey please" and conned her out of this NOS sandblast one from the 1970's.
OldStyle305Sandblast.jpg

This one is a little different than the frist one in that it has the wide P-lip stem like a 301 but no well. Unlike todays Peterson's it hasn't been dip-stained (there is virgin briar in the mortice) but the chamber has been carbon coated, something I don't mind at all. At 6" long, it is 1/4" shorter than the other one but weighs in at the same 1.9 ounces. The smoke hole was drilled at 3.5 mm and I opened it to 4 mm as I do with all my pipes. The drilling is dead on both for center and bottom of the bowl. Unlike todays 305's, the wall thickness remains constant from top to bottom, so the thing won't get hot midway down.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Very nice. I only have 5 rusticated pipes and 3 of which are Petes. Just always been partial to smooth pipes. Did you get if off a store on ebay or just a random seller. If so may I ask which one always looking to add sellers in my favorites list.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I knew I forgot something. Here is the link to the seller.
http://stores.ebay.com/Bonds-of-Oxford-Street_Peterson__W0QQ_fsubZ8540210QQ_pgnZ1QQ_sidZ450690682QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14
Look at the bottom of page three for this particular pipe. I would hurry tho. As a result of my posting on Smokers Forums, they are selling like hotcakes. This one was $83.90 including all postal and E-bay fees, orginal bag and box.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Thank you for the compliment JCS but no, I'm not Mr. Peterson. Florian Eichorn knows more about them than I ever will. Ed MacMullen had at one time, over 600 Pre-republic and Petent Petersons and Jim Lilley has about 250 new era and Pre-republic pipes not to mention some specially commisioned ones. I'm just a babe in arms compared to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.