PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
PAD has struck yet again and I blame all of you assholes. Which of these three would you get? All are Dunhills. A #3 Zulu, a #5 Panel, or a #4 Bulldog? Or better yet, tell me they all suck and I have no business buying any of them :(

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
That bulldog would be my pick, I like the blast and the shape itself is just classic.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Nate, aren't you the guy eating Ramen Noodles?
But since you ask, go with the #4 Bulldog, but then I am bias and partial to Rhoddies and Bulldogs. Take it from the newly retired, you only live once. :worship:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would go with the panel. Don't care for a straight bulldog, and the Zulu doesn't look forward canted enough to be a Zulu. Looks more like a Dublin.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Zito, with my commissioned Parks arriving next week, I had to sell some assets to make the payment which left a bit of cash leftover for a bunch of tobacco and a pipe. Then it's back to the ramen and tobacco diet. I need to drop twenty so it's all good. When I got Michael Parks bill a couple days ago I was shaken. Had someone told me I'd buy a 2k pipe I'd called them nuts. As it turns out, I'm the one that nuts. I may or may not buy this Dunhill... it's actually a "reasonably" priced estate. Although it occurs to me my concept of reasonable has shifted profoundly :( stupid commissioned pipe.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
CM, you're spot on!

Here's their description...

"Somewhat of a fusion of Dunhill's "21" Zulu shape and one of their more broad-bowled Dublins, the "35" sports a handsome, jaunty profile. It's also one we see very rarely in Group 3 size, and as this particular shape is fairly uncommon as it is, that makes this fellow all the more rare. Just to drive the point home: this is the second of its kind that we have received new to be offered in the rich red-walnut finish of the Amber Root series."

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've recently been bitten by the Zulu bug, and Duhill's true Zulu shape may make me give Dunhill another chance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I love a nice lithe zulu with a canted bowl, but I agree, that one looks like a rather staid Dublin. I also love bulldogs, but that one has a finish that mutes the bulldog shape, so I'd pass on that. That panel fore square is a classic, and if it's not overweight, I think it would be a good pipe to own. New Dunhill pipe prices are so inflated, I'd steer you away from them, or if you must, Al Pascia will probably give you a near-best price. Before you take the plunge, especially on a new pipe, also look at Ashtons and Ferndowns, which may be as much pipe for a much better price. If these are estates, just acquaint yourself with the market so you come in at a fair market price. Dunhills are lovely, but soooo inflated on price.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I like larger bowls so anything smaller than a #5 Dunhill is smaller than I like.I had a Bulldog exactly like the one pictured here except it was a #5. I found it hard to hold onto so I traded it away.To answer the question at hand.I like the Panel And the Zulu.Overall my choice would be the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.