PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
A couple of weeks ago I posted on a thread about how I was having trouble with keeping my pipe lit again recently. I listened to the great advice given by several members (Roth, Harris, Kashmir in particular) and have practiced my packing technique more in the last few weeks. It seems to be working, I'm now packing the bowl a little looser using the old codger method of sticking my pipe in the pouch/tin and gently pulling the tobacco into the bowl with my forefinger until the bowl is full but still springy. I'm getting it down to one or two relights per bowl now except on really humid days. Last night, on an extremely humid night, I had a bowl of CH in a bent bulldog, one relight after I dumped some ash and right down to what I considered to be a proper amount of dottle (just a tiny bit in the bowl). I tried Kashmir's breath method and that really seemed to pop the nutty flavour of the CH even on a crazy humid night. Thanks to all for your input and helping me make the pipe experience that much more enjoyable

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I too appreciate the tips and advice, and am still very much on a learning curve 7 years or so into pipe smoking. One thing I'm thinking about is that if one were to adopt the habit of only clenching all the time, it seems like that would essentially eliminate a wide range of pipe styles/shapes/sizes/weights from being able to comfortably smoke in that manner. There are a couple of mine that I particularly like that are great smokers but are definitley not very good for continual clenching...such as the Baki in my avatar which I currently smoke almost every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.