PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Not too long ago I posted my adventure to a antique store.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/adventure-to-antique-store
Well the middle pipe had a broken stem, and a bit of cake and charing on the rim. Not being able to really repair the stem I had no choice but to make a new one. Its not the same size, but its pretty close. Main thing I couldn't replicate was the logo on the stem. I sanded the old stain off and was careful not to ruin the markings on the pipe. While removing it I found a big area that was filled. I test stained the area and looked like it wouldn't show too bad so I left it there.

Before

During

Afterwards

The GBD pipe on the right I cleaned and buffed up. I rubbed off the white logo while cleaning it up, that disappointed me but its not a big loss unless I resell the pipe. It smokes pretty nicely.

I'll get around to the Grabow someday.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
They look likely to be fine smokers. I like their sturdy but stylish durable good looks.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice job! I like the shape of that Lorenzo. BTW- That Grabow Freehand has the wrong stem,should be a "fancy". Like this with less bend--

freehand-with-a-twist-2013-08-01-001-1024x512-600x300.jpg

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I'm gonna either buy a replacement stem or make one. I was throwing the idea around about Frankensteining a the fancy stem I have for it. The stem is broke like the Lorenzo stem was, so there is no way a bit of super glue would help. However if I chopped it in half and drilled for a nylon bit and fused a stem on it then I could use a bit of glue and vulcanite dust to hide the seam. I think that would be extremely hard and not come out right, but could be fun. It would have to be cut extremely close to the grabow logo.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You can probably get a replacement stem from the factory.

http://www.drgrabow.net/

Dr.Grabow

International Pipes & Accessories
PO Box 849

Sparta, North Carolina 28675
Phone: 336-372-5521

Fax: 336-372-2875
Email: info@drgrabow.net

Status
Not open for further replies.