PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
So helping clean up grandmas house again. Found another pipe. It's still not "the pipe" but I keep finding my grandfathers pipes and having to fix them up,I know such a pain. :lol:
Today's find is

wFcL6h.jpg

a straight stemmed medico lancer.
I'm not sure how old this one is as I don't remember this pipe specifically in his collection. It was down in the man cave/workshop side of the basement. It was up on a shelf and actually had about a quarter bowl of the driest tobacco you've ever seen in it with a char on top. I imagine he set it up there to do something and forgot it.

so there's a few marks on it. But I'm not sure if they'd help date the pipe.

Medico on the Shank with LANCER and the little r in a circle thingy under it

And a (White?) M in a circle on the stem.

oh wait I know

D0Szfh.jpg

Gottem both in one shot too
So anyone have any ideas as to when this pipe rolled out or even just some interesting trivia?

joshwolftree

doing more research on this pipe.

WTF is Brylon?

do I treat it like a briar and let a cake build? do I treat it like a Meer and keep it clean?

do I treat like a cob and expect no breakin? Will the breakin turn into wrestling to the ground to stuff the 18th straight bowl of tobacco into it. then head butting it before lighting. You know, to let it know who's boss?

ulrich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Brylon is a composite of briar sawdut and nylon to form a resin like substance. Brylon pipes get hotter than the fires of hell when you smoke them but as far as I can tell they'll take just about any abuse you can throw at them. I've seen people joke that they can hammer nails in with them. From what I've gathered, there was a shortage of briar during WWII and a drive to make and improve products out of new "wonder materials". Also cake doesn't really build up in them from what I hear, just wipe clean and go, I'd venture a guess that they don't need much rest between smokes either.

joshwolftree

Welp got her cleaned up and smoked a few out of her...actually not to bad..definately gets the gurgles a lot quicker than my briars. but that was still into like bowl three. Glad I got it. won't be an everday all day pipe like my cobs it'll be a once in a while pipe that brings back memories of Pop Bill, and it'll sit on my table with my other pipes and look down right sexy

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Great story on what you found. I can just imagine him doing a chore or making something, and

momentarily setting his pipe on that shelf years ago.....

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Brylon, yup, indestructable. Last you a lifetime. It is a cool story and it will hold sentimental value. If you are doing any finish work around the house and cannot find your light hammer. Just use that pipe mate.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
Brylon might not be the best, but its not horrible. Definitely good when you might accidentally drop it on the rocks out fishing. It does get hot, but I'd rather have a hot pipe, than a broken one I care more about...
However, given the story behind the pipe, its definitely a keeper! That's what makes pipes so great. The value is not always in the item itself, but the life it has lived and the legacy it carries!
Great little pipe!

joshwolftree

I've been smoking it off and on, and I think I finally got the cadence right to keep her lit without getting her to uncomfortable to the touch hot. There's not much wiggle room between those two. On the upside once I found it the pipe stayed lit an hour and a half and burnt everything down to a nice fine ash with only one relight. The walls are retarded thin (maybe a 1/4 inch at the thickest point, closer to an 1/8th inch at the top of the bowl)which gives the advantage of a huge bowl size, but the downside of less insulating material between your hand and the cinder. I'll try to get a top down of the bowl picture at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.