PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I have been getting a little bored with what I have open at the moment, and I wanted to wait for better weather to crack a tin of some of the more complex blends. Then I found three neglected tins of Sutliff that I received as samples. French Quarter, Molto Dolce, and Great Outdoors. The Molto Dolce was OK, a nice change of pace but I didn't fall in love with it either, it just tastes sweet to me with no real flavors but it still makes my truck smell good. French Quarter on the other hand, I am greatly enjoying the first bowl. I taste mostly burley, with hints of bourbon. It seems a little bitey to me so I'll have to be careful. I haven't opened Great Outdoors yet. I guess this means I'll have to investigate some of Sutliffs other offerings.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Interesting, hopefully I have a different experience than that, cigarette-like is something I try to avoid. It is supposed to be an aromatic though isn't it? If so did any of the flavoring come through in taste?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great Outdoors surprised me, in a good way. It's a well-crafted blend. It didn't knock me over

on the first bowl, but I enjoyed it, and it seemed to get better. I also like their English blend,

Westminster (not be be confused with G.L. Pease blend by the same name, also a good one).

I also have, unopened, Taste of Summer, which several have commented on favorably. Sutliff

does good blends at reasonable prices, and also contributes generously to pipe show goody

bags.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I enjoy Great Outdoors. It has a distinct anise flavoring, which I don't usually care for. But this one really grew on me.
I will say that Great Outdoors can lightly ghost a pipe. It doesn't need the kind of exorcism required for a Lakeland ghost -- it's more Caspar than Poltergeist -- but I've found that it can take more than the usual three bowls of a new blend to get past the licorice flavors.
Bob

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Westminster blend is very good, and is a creation of Dunhill London Mixture.I reviewed all their Private Stock blends here, in case anybody missed them: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-sutliff-private-stock-reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.