PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Came across this neat little poem here... http://fujipub.com/ooops/quotes.html#virtue I thought some of the poetry and quotes were pretty cool and some of you may enjoy them.
In Wreaths of Smoke
In wreaths of smoke, blown waywardwise,

Faces of olden days uprise,

And in his dreamer's reverie

They haunt the smoker's brain, and he

Breathes for the past regretful sighs.
Mem'ries of maids with azure eyes,

In dewy dells 'neath June's soft skies,

Faces that more he'll only see

In wreaths of smoke.
Eheu, eheu! How fast tine flies--

How youth-time passion droops and dies,

And all the countless visions flee!

How worn would all those faces be,

Were they not swaithed in soft disguise

In wreaths of smoke!

-Frank Newton Holman

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This was written in the 18th or 19th Century, or is written in that manner. I've written a few contemporary poems

about pipe smoking, and would like to do a collection, if I ever clear a series of other projects I'm on, but I

suspect it would be impossible to publish such a thing. It would be limited to the minority of pipe smokers

who actually read poetry, which is a minute demographic of a small demographic. People don't have much

patience with poetry. It's been supplanted by music and song lyrics, and film, video and prose. Even as late

as the 1960's, poetry was an important channel for cultural understanding and progress. Now it tends toward

the academic and obscure. Funny, T.S. Eliot used to be taught as if he was incomprehensible, and now his

stream of consciousness montage approach is used in every TV ad you see. But no one knows they are watching

a bunch of ad copywriter T.S. Eliot imitators. People don't know their vision has been transformed by a ... poet!

Status
Not open for further replies.