PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Someone from the forum saw this thread a few weeks ago...
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/blending-the-old-and-new
...and decided he wanted to take a shot at it with his own pipe. It originally had a fishtail, not a P-lip, but he thought the wider, flatter, shorter approach would make it still more comfortable. The longish cylindrical shank was proportionately almost right for a lovat (another quarter inch would have been a bullseye), so that's what I went with. (Why not stick with the classics when you can, right?) The only catch was what looks like a band is actually a cap, so the base of the stem had to be cut to match its rounded-over shoulder to avoid a large gap at the shank stem junction.
The original still fits just fine, btw. Nothing about the pipe had to be modified, so now it's a Liverpool / lovat "convertible". 8)
DguSFdG.jpg

MKo10x4.jpg

YrHO88k.jpg

LENKv2a.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Sobrbiker

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
georged, your stem work is beautiful!

I've got a few saddle cut stems that are quite long and allow me to get more stem in my mouth, comfortably.

Clenching is more secure for me with more stem in my mouth.

I've had accidents while clenching that are dangerous and disturbing..usually due to my own inattention and the particular pipe and stem.

I 'dropped' a lit bowl on the floor yesterday while puttering in the kitchen..the pipe was a Stanwell brushed black with a decent sized saddle, but I think the stem material was Lucite. Lucite stems don't seem to be as secure in my particular set of teeth, as those seemingly more tactile ebonite stems.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Beautiful workmanship. Your stem work is without equal, really. And having repaired a few I know how hard it is to get it right. I only wish I had that kind of skill!!!!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think the replacement stem looks better and suits the pipe better than the original. Excellent work!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OK, this question in no way questions the choices and beautiful work above: Could one have a 3-4" stem made affixed to make a lovely billiard? Or are dimensions of the briar wrong for that style? (or other considerations that'd make it a no go?)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
jpmcwjr (how is that pronounced? :lol: ) --- When rod stock is used, there's no limit on shape or length (within reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.