PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
When I ordered my last pipe, the fine folks at 4Noggins.com gave me 2 small smaples of tobacco to try. One of them was Button Bay and the other was Prairie Wind. Being an Aro smoker and having tried HH Mature Virginia three times and 2 English Blends twice and truly hating the experience, I was very hopeful this would do the trick. I have to say the 2 pouches smelled wonderful. Very tobacco-ie, earthy and a bit leathery to my nose. I really like this scent and it reminds me of yesteryear somehow. So I fired up a bowl of the Button Bay yesterday in my Meer. I could not take so much as 3 puffs. The taste waged war against the flavor sensors in my mouth and I couldn't go on. Its amazing how much this flavor disagreed with me. I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with me until I fired up a bowl of my new Moulin Rogue. Well.... I'm back in my happy place now.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
My experiences with non aros on the pallet have been you have to let it burn for a while. What comes across as weird at first can change as the flavors heat up and marry in the bowl. I was always told when smoking a new cigar to smoke at least an inch before you judge it. I apply the same to pipe smoking and I am glad I do. Maybe non aros are not for you and that is ok. Like everyone says here, smoke what you enjoy. I am new to pipe smoking and I am sampling all kinds of blends. Some are just horrible in my opinion, but there are still a couple thousand to try. Keep changing it up now and then. "Variety is the spice of life." Happy smoking!

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Have you ever tried Lanes BCA ,if you like aro's you might want to give this blend a try. :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
zonomo, I honestly would not be concerned if I were you. You have blends that you enjoy and that is all that matters. I used to smoke English blends and then lost my taste for them. Some months ago I was part of a group of guys who did some blind reviews and some of those blends were English. They were absolutely foul tasting to me and it was torture smoking them. They all tasted the same to me, Latakia was all I could taste and I had to fight to get through the reviews. No one says you have to like English blends or Virginia's or any other kind. You are happy smoking your aromatics and be grateful you have found blends you enjoy. There is nothing wrong with being an aromatic smoker, you are in the majority of pipe smokers by a wide margin. There is no reason why you should waste your time trying to become an English devotee, smoke what you like and make no apologies.
I hate drinking scotch, so I don't. I am not going to spend money trying to learn how to appreciate that stuff, to me it tastes like kerosene, so I stick to my Vodka.

Dec 24, 2012
I hate drinking scotch, so I don't. I am not going to spend money trying to learn how to appreciate that stuff, to me it tastes like kerosene, so I stick to my Vodka.
Ok, aromatics I understand. But who in their right mind hates scotch? I have never heard of such a thing, Jesus, I am Irish, and even I prefer Scotch over Irish whiskey. Harris, you need help. We need to get you to Rampart stat and put you on 10 CCs of a Lagavulin drip as soon as possible.
Edit - Please stop the PMs. I do apologize for the innapropriate reference to Jesus. Now, please, leave me be.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
If you're an Aro smoker looking for something a little different I would strongly recommend McClelland 221b series: Arcadia -as its one of my favorites. It's a nice blend of Virginias and Orientals. It's an easy smoke and as it's one of my favorites, if you try it and do not like it I can trade you an open tin of Moulin Rouge or Molto Dolce (another of my favs) I haven't even cracked open the Moulin Rouge yet. I will soon however, your review of it has got me super excited for it. But I would strongly suggest Arcadia, that is, if you are trying to branch out from aromatics. Hope this could help.
Shayde

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, I have tasted that particular scotch along with Macallan 18 and other high end scotch's. A cigar buddy of mine was big into single malts and I honestly did try a bunch of them. It was vile to me and I gave up trying to appreciate that swill. I will be more than happy to drink my Veuve Clicquot or Bollinger while you drink your kerosene.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Nothing wrong with smoking what you like. It's all about enjoying your experience. I am not big on aromatics, to me a lot of them taste like flavorless hot steam and are simply too uncomfortable on my palate to enjoy.
On the other hand, if I get cut, I'm pretty sure I bleed latakia 8)

Dec 24, 2012
I will be more than happy to drink my Veuve Clicquot or Bollinger while you drink your kerosene.
Yeesh, there is no hope for you. I hate Champagne (and most sparkling wines) - it is the soda pop of the wine world. You are dead to me buddy, until you get some help for your terrible affliction.

Dec 24, 2012
Now, on the aromatic front, I have been trying and trying to find one I like. The wife really loves the smell of some of them when we go for walks. So far, the only one I have found that is ok to my taste is Trout Stream. I just ordered some small amounts of a few Pipeworks & Wilkie blends - I am hoping one of them is the charm.
Seriously though, leaving aside Harris's startling admission that he is the only heterosexual man (or so he claims) in the world who professes to love Champagne, I wish I loved aromatics. I mean, the room note of most is exquisite. People dig the smell of that stuff. Consider yourself lucky.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Peck: have you ever tried Molto Dolce? It may not be your style, as I would consider it the flavored coffee of the tobacco world. But then again if you don't like the idea of a flavored coffee you will probably dislike several aro's if not all of them. So it would almost be safe, for one to deduce that you are a steak over chocolate man. Who appreciates the subtle hints of coffee beans in his black coffee and cannot stand the thought of diluting such a pleasurable experience with creamers and sugars. So it would be safe for me to impose, that based on my limited knowledge of aro's, that you will not like any I have tried to date. I would be very interested when and if you ever find one you do like.

Dec 24, 2012
Shayde - you are right, there aren't many sweets things I like, though I do like creme brule once in a blue moon in small doses. I have never tried Molto Dolce and am scared to try it based on the description. I am anxious to try the P&W blends that Carole has on the way.
All of that said, I do love the taste of coffee, and if I could find an aro that wasn't sweet and goopy, but had the wonderful aroma of coffee, I would be all over it to give it a whirl.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
I bought some Molto Dolce early on. The room note is fantastic, but it is a little too sweet for me and I like aros. Then I discovered Stokkebey 4th Gen 1897. That is by far my favorite aro right now. A little vanilla and honey, but not overly sweet. The women in my household love the room note. Waiting to see it in bulk online.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Peck: Altadis (now owned by Sutliff) has a bulk on P&C called Creme Brûlée, it's been said on the reviews of Molto Dolce that it is a cheaper/bulk version of Molto Dolce itself. So perhaps I was wrong if you do like Creme Brûlée perhaps you would like Molto Dolce, or the Creme brûlée bulk. Perhaps it is something to try...after all.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Hell Harris I sure wish I shared your aversion to scotch. The cost savings alone would allot me a cellar twice the size of my current one.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, I love good champagne and have been drinking it for 40 years. The chicks also dig the stuff and my special drink for the ladies is a Kir Royale( champagne and a dollop of Chambord). Only a heathen such as yourself cannot appreciate a fine glass of bubbly.
Back to the aromatics. I dabbled in them in the summer of 2012 with a sampling of Boswell aromatics. They are considered top of the line aro's in the same vain as Carol's stuff and 4noggins aro's. I did enjoy the flavors on some of them with Christmas Cookie being my favorite. My kids loved the room note. My problem was that they dried my mouth something fierce as I believe I get a reaction to any type of PG in my tobacco. From what I had read and from other people's descriptions, they do not have an excessive amount of PG, so it was probably just me. You should try the Christmas Cookie as I found, of all of them, it was not overly sweet. Their Berry Cobbler was very sweet as was their Rasberry Creme and Pennsylvania Dutch treat, which was fine for me as I do have a sweet tooth. They were kind of fun for a little bit and I probably would have kept them around for a change of pace smoke had they not dried me out so much. Even Biotene did not help.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
leaving aside Harris's startling admission that he is the only heterosexual man (or so he claims) in the world
Peck, you forgot your disclaimer "Not that there's anything wrong with that". My people will be calling your people...

Status
Not open for further replies.