PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
Hello gents and ladies.

I'm very new to pipe smoking. In fact I only upgraded from cigarettes 3 days ago. I'm completely hooked! I love the whole shebang already.

Now I've only got a cheap pipe until my Carey arrives next week. I've broke it in. Well I believe I have, I notice a dramatic difference to how it smoked on the first smoke. A question I have which I'm sure will be the first of many is about the cake. Does cake look like the inside of the pipe is burned and slightly cracked?

I know I've only been smoking it for 3 days but it's seen a good ten bowls smoked now!

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
First off welcome.
in regards to the cake... its going to take much longer than 3 days to form a good cake, it should be between the thickness of a nickel or dime. (everyone has their own preference on that)

The cake itself once you have built one up should look like an extra layer on the inside of the wall... very noticeable.

sal57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2012
Welcome to a great forum and a bunch of fantastic people that are always happy and willing to help.

robertelliott

Lurker
Nov 5, 2012
Congradulations ! ....... Welcome the pipe smokers community.

You will be seeking advice I'm sure ? All I

can say is be

patient and have fun researching..

Happy mortal! He who knows pleasure which a pipe bastows.

Isaac Hawkins Brown

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
If you are an infrequent smoker, cake will take awhile to build.
If you smoke the same pipe frequently, then cake will be a nuisance that you don't want to hurry along.
You need some cake, but definitely not more than the nickel or dime's worth.
Some blends seem to build it faster than others, but don't worry about that - smoke what you like in the pipe and the cake will come. It is nothing to stress about.
If you indeed build up too much cake, then you can purchase a reamer and periodically shave off a few layers so that it's down to a manageable level. There are videos to the left hand side where Bob Tate demonstrates the reaming of a pipe with two different kinds of reamers.
Swabbing out the bowl with a bent over pipe cleaner, or with a piece of paper towel, will delay the formation of cake. Be careful to do this evenly, if you are so inclined, so that the cake isn't damaged...
Roth suggests using a knife, and that'll work, but that's an individual thing - are you comfortable handling the inside of your bowl with a knife? Do you trust yourself to do it without a slip up? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.