PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Found these 9 pipes at an antique shop. 4 Savinelli Autographs (two Grade 3, one Grade 3P and one Grade 6), 1 Ben Wade Golden Walnut, 1 Ben Wade Royal Grain, 1 huge pipe marked "Wild Honey Lord Pearl Custom made", 1 awkward shaped Edwards and 1 unmarked large panel pipe. Looking forward to cleaning them up and having a smoke!
pipes20_zpsbbd9e1fe.jpg

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on the additions to your collection. I hope the cleanup and restoration goes well.
An excellent find.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Wow! Great find! Most of my pipes so far have come from antique shops and sales. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything so spectacular. Congrats and enjoy! :puffy:

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
The pipe at the bottom left is sweet. I really need to get myself down to places with pipes for sale.
Peace out
Dave

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Everything I've found in antique shops have been used and abused.
Amazing find!!! Those look like great pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Did you buy them as a lot, or did you buy them as individually priced? Did you get any discount for buying them

as a group? Do you think the dealer was pipe saavy, or was he/she just trying to turn them over for quick cash?

This is a really clean, well-made group. Nothing looks chewed up or coming apart, and they appear to be quite

clean. If you made a good deal for these, it was a haul. They look like they'll clean up like new.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Awesome finds, either the local Antique store in my town only finds cheep destroyed pipes. Or everyone beats me to the nice ones, all i found were some grabows (nothing against them my first and a few of mine are grabows), and medico. I found a older kaywoodie that I liked so I bought it.
Good luck and keep us posted on the cleanups, they look great already!

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
MSO489, The lot for 200. They were priced individually between 28-33 but i assume they are from the same collection. She was not pipe savvy. 2 of the Savinelli Autographs are unsmoked and the other 2 have some cake and will need a good cleaning. The 2 Ben Wades are barely used. The large panel pipe was heavily smoked and has some internal bowl damage but I wanted the set. In general they are in great shape, had to have come from a collector...I will give them a good home:)
Thanks All! It was a very lucky find.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Thats a fine collection no matter the price, but you would still have done well for twice what you paid.

I think the Wild Honey pipe might be my favorite of the bunch, and I've never heard of the brand.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dix:
I haunt antique stores and flea markets like a fiend in my business travels. I've made some killer finds and my pipe racks have certainly benefited from the extra company I've introduced. But this is, hands down, one of the best hauls I've ever read about.
Four Sav autographs and two Ben Wades plus one ugly ass Edwards and two others? Good God, what a score!
As to your paneled pipe, I used to pass by the heavily caked burners until I had an epiphanic moment one evening. Why are those pipes thick with the remains of who knows how many bowls of tobacco? What a dumbass! They smoked well - pure and simple. Anymore, I double-check those old soldiers to make sure the structural integrity is sound and still within the limits of my restorative capabilities. At that point, game on.
You can easily sell one or two of these burners and completely underwrite your outlay of cash. I'll also bet that fugly Edwards might end up being one of your best smokers. During the French Algerian Civil War - mid 50's to early 60's - Diebel's in Kansas City and Edward's made a run on vintage Algerian briar stockpiles and damned near cornered the market. I have pipes from both companies and they are extraordinary smokers. I certainly hope yours came from this time period.
Dix, for us estate smokers, you've made one of those lifetime scores. Embrace the moment, kiddo. You done real, real good.
Fnord

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Thanks Fnord! I too frequent antique shops, consignment shops and flea markets looking for estate pipes. I have been very lucky over the last few years. I am looking forward to sharing more of my past and future finds. That Edwards really is an ugly one :lol:...but close up it has some nice grain.
Lonestar...I think the Wild Honey is one of my favorites too. I have not heard of it either but it is a real nice handful.
Thanks again all!

Status
Not open for further replies.