PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
A couple of years ago I hit an estate sale and did really good. I bought some 52 pipes and some where very nice. I have not had much luck with estate sales since , I did good at a flea market a while back on some stands, but not many pipes. Well day before yesterday on my way home from work I saw an estate sale and almost didn't stop, I thought to myself there won't be any pipes but what the hell I better check. As I walked up the lady was closing up shop and putting things away and sure enough I saw a couple of pipe stands, and quite a few pipes. The stands were nice but dirty and the pipes were just plain filthy. The lady in charge walked over asked if I was interested in pipes and I told her yes ma'am and I saw a few I might want, she looked at me like I was crazy and said take them all please! Those things are nasty. So I quickly gave each pipe a once over and briefly looked at the other stuff. There were two stands, both dirty but nice, a couple of little single brass stands, a couple of pipe ashtrays ,a Kleem Reem Senior Reemer in the box , a pipe zippo, several British Buttner reemers , and of course the pipes, 15 total. The names I saw right off were GBD, Guildhall by Comoy's, Hilson and Lorenzo. I didn't have much money with me so I thought well she asked so I threw her a low ball offer. LOW and BEHOLD she took it! SHe even gave me a tub to put everything in ! So I loaded my treasures and ran. Glad I made myself stop. It turned out to be a really nice day. The pipes need alot of work but the stands cleaned up very nice, I didn't have a senior Reemer and an extra zippo is always a good thing. Not to mention I got 4 GBD's , a Prince of Wales, A Guildhall Everyman's pipe by Comoys, a nice Hilson Churchwarden and a few oldie but goodies. A Linkmans Dr. Grabow Deluxe Bruyere with a four digit number on side 9701 , A Dr.Grabow Viscount, a Van Roy from WWII, a Thinbite bulldog, which I think will clean up nice, a couple of Lorenzo's , A Danish Sovereign and a couple of Whitehalls. Over all it was a good day!! Here are a few pics of the GBD's , Guildhall and Hilson.
GBD Prestige

GBD Ambassador

GBD London Made

GBD RockRoot (cracked shank)

Guidhall Everyman's pipe by Comoy

Hilson Churchwarden

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I love old GBD's, heck even getting a sleeve repair on that cracked one should make a cracker of a smoker, good haul.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Thanks guys. These pics do not really do the GBD London Made and Prestige justice. They both have beautiful grain and should clean up nicely.
@ Jason here is a pick of the Lorenzo's as requested sir. They need cleaned up as well but both are good looking pipes.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Like they say- nothing ventured-nothing gained. I'd say you made a hell of a gain!

Aug 1, 2012
Hell yeah man, those GBDs are beautiful. Careful when cleaning the perspex stem on that Prestige (the most beautiful of the lot I think) that you get all the alcohol out. I seem to remember that if you don't get it all, it can cloud the airway.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Thank you kindly gentlemen.
@captainsousie- will do sir. I appreciate the tip. You are right I think it is going to clean up and be a beautiful pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.