PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
I recieved this email yesterday...yes on April Fool's day...but it was NO JOKE. Unlike Latbomber's post...which after this email i nibbled on a little.
As (my company name) works toward a tobacco-free workplace changes for 2014 have been implemented. Smoking is now prohibited in all (my company name) buildings and any posted areas where hazards may exist. It is also prohibited within 25 feet from all entrances, exits, windows that open, and ventilation intakes that serve an enclosed area for all (my company name) locations. E-cigarettes are not permitted in smoke-free area. Smoking is prohibited in company vehicles with multiple occupants. View (my company name) 2014 revised smoking policy for more information.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I feel your pain Lucky. My company has that exact same policy and has had it since 2012. The E-cig part was just added on ours this year as well. I don't smoke cigs anymore and have never smoked a E-cig but I still smoke my pipe to and from the job site in my truck.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My company tried that about 12 years ago. Our plant guys in California figured out that the railroad tracks were not company property so they put chairs on the tracks, lit up , took a picture and sent it to the VP of HR in New York. The order was lifted 2 days later.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Lucky:
To me, that sounds like a very common policy to me; this isn't any different from what thousands of other companies are doing. And it isn't nearly as intrusive as some recent policies that have attempted to dictate what happens in personal vehicles on company property. In fact, I think it's particularly liberal for apparently allowing smoking in company vehicles driven by a single person; most companies would want to keep any smoke smell out of company vehicles altogether.
Is it a chunk out of your freedom? Well, yes. But so is employment in general. After all, you're probably not free to set your own schedule, show up when you want and leave when you want, wear anything you want, etc.
Bob

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My boss would never dream of implementing such a policy. I would quit immediately, and he'd would be out of work.
Ah, one of the few benefits of a sole proprietorship.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
In 2006, the company at which I worked (which was an English company) stated that in 2007, a new policy would be instated in which smokers would have to pay a $50 per month penalty fee.
I gave my notice within a week, and left a week after that. It was the last time I worked for anyone but myself. I started my business and have never looked back.
When I worked from home for the first 3 years, my pipe was never out of my mouth. Finally, my wife kicked me out and made me get an office.
Just last night, she requested that I don't smoke in my truck anymore. I reminded her of the last time someone tried a non-smoking policy on me, and that was the end of the discussion.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I'm retired but my son's company insurance provider has implemented new regs also. Tobacco users pay a 'much' higher premium for their health policy than non-users, on or off plant property. It doesn't matter what your choice of tobacco is either. If you claim that your a non-user, periodic unannounced testing is performed.....

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
The big B has had this kind of policy for 5 years. The cigerette smokers spend more time outside than at their desks. So much for increased production.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Its pretty much the same in the UK. Obviously here they can't charge us for smoking, or increase health insurance premiums, but the mini-hitlers that write these kind of notices are as prevalent in the UK as they seem to be in america.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My current place of employment has a similar policy (as has every place I've worked for the last 20 years or so) - but just beyond that 25 foot radius, they've placed benches and "smokers poles" for cigarette butt disposal. Once the weather starts cooperating a little more regularly, I may take advantage of them during lunchtime... though I'll probably cobble together another tobacco tin/cork ashtray for my own use.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I smoke so recreationally its not a problem. Hell my boss/company owner just told me of her fist hooka experience. :lol:

I don't expect any trouble.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
papipeguy & bryanf, hahaha great stories, especially the chairs on the railroad tracks one. Bryan, i didn't think companies (normal corporate companies) were legally able to fine you for a legal past time you do in your own personal life away from work? Or did you mean if they caught you smoking AT work, then they fined you? Either way, what a freaking joke. What'r you 5 years old again? I can't stand it when companies treat their employees like children, it's nothing short of ridiculous and downright insulting.
And i give you my respect for first of all saying screw it and screw them and breaking out on your own. That takes cahones, my friend. Second of all, props for standing up to your wife and telling her how it is, bryan. We all know of the possible consequences that come with an unhappy wife/gf! IE., happy wife=happy life, lol.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Vorhees, I sometimes work in NYC, and if someone tells me about their "hooka" experience, it's guaranteed to be a NSF conversation about smoking of a very different kind.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I work in the public school system here in the states, so no smoking is definitely a company policy. I do smoke in my car to and from work every day. I take minimal precautions to mask odor. Mouthwash in the car, windows down to reduce smoke on my clothes, and occasionally a quick body spray if I've smoked something particularly pungent. More often than not, people don't even realize I do smoke; not that I try to hide it.
As far as legislation is concerned, I am all for certain levels of regulation. No smoking indoors with the exception of your home? Sounds fine. Eliminates unwanted health risks for people around us. No smoking in a company car? Okay, it isn't my property and I should respect the owner's wishes. No smoking in a closed personal vehicle with minors in the car? Absolutely that should be the case. Why subject kids to second hand smoke just for your pleasure? Roll'em down for ventilation. Isn't that hard. (Reminds me of the age old toilet seat business we have with the ladies.)
Now if someone tries to say I can't smoke in the open air of my own property, then we have a problem. Passing by vehicles would have an easier time killing you than my pipe. Jog on, fascist. Same deal with public parks in my opinion. I even had a woman at a dog park in Tallahassee across the damn field from me start coughing in protest to my pipe. I gave her a prompt flip of the bird and continued my day.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
woodsroad, I get that too. However, just hearing her speak of it was humorous. I don't know what was in it, she was in Spain and they call it "Shiska". :?:

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Oh psych i love people who cough, it's fantastic. They're alright right bolshy fat bitches round here. Some people love complaining about things.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Being self employed has many benefits... it's not all good but at least there isn't anyone telling you what you can do with your own body.

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
oh don't mistake my intent here. I agree that some regulation is needed...and welcome. It was the sentence about entrances and exits...as if they were different. "windows THAT open"...not that ARE open...but window that have the ability to be opened... that pretty much means everywhere... without saying everywhere.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I, too, worked in the public school system. No smoking on any school system property. I was actually called in by my principal one day for lighting a cigar as I was exiting the parking lot in my car at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.