PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
This is my first Andrew Marks pipe. As many of you know, I collect Elliott Nachwalter pipes, so Marks (also of Vermont) has been on my radar for a while. Picked this one up on ebay for a song and I'm really pleased with it. The styling is quirky, but I kind of like the little fishtail stem -- and the bowl has a nice little thumb crook (if you're a righty) that makes it a pleasure to hold. Best of all, the draw is effortless. If you've had a Marks pipe before, I'd love to hear about yours.
andrew-marks-004-600x400.jpg

andrew-marks-005-600x400.jpg

andrew-marks-002-600x400.jpg

andrew-marks-003-600x400.jpg

andrew-marks-001-600x400.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Great pipe! :clap: There are several novel elements that pique one's visual interest from different angles.

One never tires of looking at pipes like this. Thanks for posting those great pix!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, Lawrence.
There are several novel elements that pique one's visual interest from different angles.

One never tires of looking at pipes like this.
LOL, I've been turning this pipe in my hands off and on since yesterday. It does indeed take on a different aspect depending on the angle. Come to think of it, I think that's part of what makes me want to acquire new pipes -- just to hold them and experience their shapes in three dimensions. We're a weird bunch, us pipers.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wow, that is quite unique and handsome! I'm not very familiar with that maker.
Many thanks, Al.
Andrew Marks has been making pipes for longer than just about any other American pipe maker. He and Nachwalter had a shop together in Stowe, VT back in the late 70s. He uses really old briar to make high-quality, no-nonsense smoking machines.
9825739.jpg

http://www.andrewmarkspipemaker.com/index.html
From a satisfied customer:
Dear Mr. Marks,

Thank you for the extremely interesting pipes you have made. I am a great pipe smoker, and I admire your originality.
Sincerely Yours,

Norman Rockwell

Stockbridge, Massachusetts

(1972)
These are characteristic of his work (an acquired taste, I think):
2021524.jpg

7904747.jpg

2264727.jpg

May 31, 2012
That's an awesome pipe pitchfork!
Does it have a year stamp?
The briar dot (made from the same block as the pipe itself) is truly

a wonderful touch.
There was a great write-up of him in an old P&T, the one with Gerald Ford

on the cover, in the article it said he went to Denmark in 1974 and as well

as hanging out with some of the Great Danes, he bought a large supply of briar

which he has been using for many years...
...ever since I saw that article I've wanted one of his pipes,

congrats on getting yourself a fine example!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, Mr. Lowercase. I have that issue of P&T but somehow I missed that article! The magazine came in a lot with a bunch of others and I guess I just overlooked it -- till now. Thanks for pointing that out.
Strangely, there is no date stamp on the pipe, just the script "Marks."

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Apparently Marks is a Middlebury grad. After going to Denmark to learn pipes, he came back to live in God's country.

Andrew-Marks-workshop-E065.jpg

http://www.froghollow.org/content/meet-our-founders
This is God's country:

1278_002-resized-600.jpg

Champlain-Valley-Vermont.jpg

5073701684_fb01b905e4.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, Harris. Thanks, roth.
BTW, I think bigvan has a Marks pipe, IIRC. I assume he likes it or else it would have been sold on to someone else by now.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Pitch, you're exactly right. I don't smoke it as much as some of my other; I generally prefer 1/8 bents to straights. And will occasionally think about selling it. But then I'll fill it up and light it up and remember WHY I haven't sold it off.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I don't smoke it as much as some of my other; I generally prefer 1/8 bents to straights. And will occasionally think about selling it. But then I'll fill it up and light it up and remember WHY I haven't sold it off.
LOL, I see what you mean. If you change your mind, I don't think you'll have much trouble finding a buyer -- yours is a beauty.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I love the grain on that pipe, and it certainly an unusual design. Andrew Marks. Every time I think that I know 'pipes', another maker is mentioned that I have no idea of.
How much does it weigh?
Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.