PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm really excited about this little nose warmer I commissioned from Andrew Marks. It's just under 5 inches, feels perfect in the hand and -- like all Marks pipes -- the draw is wide open and silky smooth. He also made me a little pipe-shaped tamper to go with it. I'm sure this pipe will soon be an old favorite.
andrew-marks-old-favorite-002-600x400.jpg

andrew-marks-old-favorite-007-600x400.jpg

andrew-marks-old-favorite-005-600x400.jpg

andrew-marks-old-favorite-004-600x400.jpg

andrew-marks-old-favorite-003-600x400.jpg

andrew-marks-old-favorite-006-600x400.jpg

andrew-marks-old-favorite-001-600x400.jpg

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Love everything about this pipe! Thanks for sharing and Happy Puffing!

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
That is a great looking pipe! I have been interested in Andrew Marks pipes for some time.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, guys. The nice comments are much appreciated.
When I asked Andrew to make the pipe for me, I had asked for a version of this pipe:
7838157.jpg

But I was even more pleased with what he actually made for me because it reminded me so much of this, my "white whale" pipe:
$(KGrHqMOKo4FGTUz8lf!BRsNzLziy!~~60_35.JPG

EDIT: Thanks, roth. We were cross-posting, but definitely of the Danish scoop family like this Holbek Polonius.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
That's a really neat shape and looks like it will be a very light and comfortable pipe to clench. Andrew is a great guy. Just speaking with him is a nice experience as he is a wealth of knowledge and has been making pipes forever.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
That is a neat pipe. Beautiful. It looks like it would fit very comfortably in the palm. I can also imagine it fits very nicely into a side pants pocket, pre-filled, with a nice little cork plug to keep the tobacco neatly inside, ready to fire up. I don't own any nose-warmers, but if I did, that would fit the bill nicely.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, Dave!
Andrew is a great guy. Just speaking with him is a nice experience as he is a wealth of knowledge and has been making pipes forever.
Absolutely, doc. As I understand it, he trained with guys like Hans Former Nielsen and some of the other makers working at WO Larsenin the late 60s. I think he also spent a little bit of time with Sixten Ivarsson. And his briar supply is from the same briar that Ivarsson used. Well aged briar to be sure.
t looks like it would fit very comfortably in the palm. I can also imagine it fits very nicely into a side pants pocket, pre-filled, with a nice little cork plug to keep the tobacco neatly inside, ready to fire up.
Thanks, bryan. That's a fantastic idea.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Very interesting. Did he go to Denmark at some point in his career? I hope you are keeping notes for the book.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Dave, my understanding ( I should ask him for the details, actually) is that he went to Denmark after talking with a few carvers here in the US -- one in California and maybe another somewhere in the east. Anyhow, I'm 100% certain that an extended trip to Denmark was a key part of his training. This was late 60s or by '73 at the latest if I remember correctly. As for the book...ah, the book. I'll PM you later.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pitch, that is a great looking pipe, I like the shape and the grain is very nice. Thanks for sharing the history of Andrew. It is very impressive that he trained with Former as he has trained some of the best pipe makers out there. Looks like I need to add him to my list. Congrats on your new pipe, I hope it smokes great for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.