PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregbc

Lurker
Jun 30, 2013
Ok, so I have never cellared any tobacco before. I have been following all your posts lately, and I am ready to start this "new" part of this amazing hobby. So here is my question.... When I buy tobacco, should I lean towards tins/cans, or bulk (when available)? Any one better than the other? Or are both the same?
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9, L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Check out the "Pipe Tobacco Aging, Storage, and Cellaring FAQ" which answers all of the questions located here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20080121054632/http://agingfaq.nocturne.org/categorization.php

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
That's an excellent resource. Thank you.
To respond to the OP's question: Like many things related to this gentle hobby, that's subjective. My cellar is full of tins, for a couple of reasons. First, because I started cellaring by doing the "buy one tin for now, and one for later" theory.

Second, and even more important, many of the blends I like are available only in tins, so that's what I buy. I am not going to try to find something that is similar to what I like in order to get it more cheaply in bulk. I like Blend A, so I'm gonna buy it that way.

Tins are more convenient; you may save some money by buying bulks and jarring them. YMMV.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I buy tins to sample a blend, and if I like it, and if it sells in bulk, I will buy bulk and cellar in mason jars.
For example, I buy 16oz of Burley London Blend, transfer to two 1qt mason jars. One jar is for smoking now, and one is to age long term. When the first jar is nearly finished, I order another 16oz, and repeat the process. That way I mount up my long term supply. BLB is less expensive per oz, when purchased in bulk, than is Carter Hall. Can't beat that for a good smoke at a good price.
I do have a few tins aging too. Either way, enjoy it.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I always buy in tins since the variety of tobaccos is far greater and these tobaccos seem fresher then some of the bulk tobacco that I have ordered. Simply place the tobacco in a 12 oz. Ball, Mason or Kerr jar, the wide mouth jars are more convenient, and place in a dark area with constant temperature. A good idea is to place filled jars in cooler that you would take on a picnic and place the cooler in the closet. Open the jars when you want tobacco and reseal firmly. If you use a certain tobacco a lot it may be a good idea to place your favorite tobacco from the jars into a tobacco pouch.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My collection consists of mostly tins because that is the only way these specific blends come. I put all my tins in a cool dark place and store them like that, I never open a sealed tin unless I am going to smoke it. I love how tobacco ages in their original tins. I have 6 blends that are bulk that I jar up upon arrival. One blend that I could buy in bulk but choose to buy the tins is Hamborger Veermaster as I prefer the tinned version more.

Status
Not open for further replies.