Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
A few days ago I was rooting around in a cupboard that needed clearing out. I came across an old tobacco jar I bought years ago. It was issued by Ogdens to celebrate 100 years of St Bruno. It reminded me that I hadn't smoked St Bruno for a long, long time - perhaps years! So I bought a pouch - it's one of those blends you can still buy in a UK supermarket or news agent.
It was a revelation! I had utterly forgotten how very good it was. I have smoked nothing else for the last four days.
This won't put me off all the other blends and mixtures I like. But it will teach me not to look down my nose at a blend that can be picked up anywhere.
Or maybe I'm just turning into an old codger? :puffy:

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Join the club; I just tried some Carter Hall for the first time and really liked it. Now I wonder about my prejudice against Mixture 79....

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I got my first and only taste of St Bruno from the box pass. I absolutely loved it. Then I found out that you can't get it in the US and it was like a punch in the stomach.
Also was very fond of Mick McQuaid square cut and velven plug ... also apparently not available in the US. What a shame
EDIT: ok I just realized that st bruno is available at P&C and now I feel like an idiot. Why have I not bought this yet? Time to fix this problem...
Still no MM square cut or velven plug though :(

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I felt the same way when I tried Condor Long Cut for the first time. I have mainly stuck to GH and SG in my few years with the pipe, mainly because I know and love their range of snuffs. I tried Condor LC on a whim, and couldn't understand why the internet seemed to be against the supermarket brands. I haven't tried St Bruno yet, but that will be put right at some point this year

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
If you go into most British supermarkets you will find five pipe tobaccos on sale:
St Bruno

Condor

Mellow Virginia

Gold Block

Clan
St Bruno and Condor are first class tobaccos and both have their fans. Personally I prefer St Bruno which is (to my mind) just a little smoother and less 'aggressive' in taste. It is also almost impossible to smoke too hot. That is just my taste though - and Condor will have its own defenders.
Mellow Virginia isn't quite so good imo, although I could happily smoke it if that was all I could get hold of.
As for Gold Block and Clan: the people who invented those should be taken out and shot!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I thought globalism was going to bring all those exciting English tobaccos to us. Now I want my taxes back.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Didache, how much do pouches cost at your local store?

I heard my local grocery store carries some kind of maple flavoured pipe tobacco. It smells great, but Id rather be a partaker of the room note rather than smoking it, or that there was five to choose from.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
josephcross - a 50g pouch costs £13 and some pennies. You can buy it online for a little less. It doesn't seem to matter if it is an OTC blend or Dunhill: they all cost around the same. £13 = $16 or so. Where are you based?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Great to hear you reunited with your old friend. I do love St. Bruno myself. Unfortunately I never had the chance to try the original blend but I am happy with the current product.

Have you tried Ogden's Mixture yet? It's Gold Block mixed with St. Bruno 50/50. Good stuff!
Edit* I actually like Gold Block a lot! I think it gets a bad rap but it's a nice smooth and sweet VA blend, I never understood the hatred for this one? I'd like to know why you dislike it so much? I understand that in the States it's way above the price range it should be in but it is very tasty nonetheless.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's just $16 a tin and something extravagant for the pouch as well, so this great classic blend will likely not attract new users...

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
hawky ... it always tasted to me like cigarette tobacco smoked in a pipe. Still, it wouldn't still sell unless it had its fans. Good thing our tastes are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.