PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
...just goes to show that there's not much new under the sun.
This design seems to be an attempt to take advantage of reverse calabash principles, or something,

with its glass expansion chamber...
F9Lx3Kw.jpg

oSUS6sv.jpg

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Alcohol and salt work great to clear tar off glass. drop salt and alcohols in a sandwich baggie and shake. Definitely an interesting, almost steam-punkish.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Obviously you would have to handle with care as there are unlikely to be replacement parts. Are there nomenclature identification marks on the stem? Lovely find!

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Nice gimmick! I'm going to say that's a condensate chamber and you can probably see it working while you smoke.
As is always the case, all the nasty stuff ends up in the shank.

May 31, 2012
It's not mine, just saw it on an overseas auction site.
I've seen a few modern pipes made in the same vein,

like this one:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/crazy-cool-seethru-reverse-calabash-design
Interesting stuff.

May 31, 2012
Nice gimmick! I'm going to say that's a condensate chamber and you can probably see it working while you smoke.
I think you're right.
It was a clever design methinks,

I think the pipe is from the 40's or earlier by the looks of it?

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I've seen a few modern pipes made in the same vein,

like this one:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/crazy-cool-seethru-reverse-calabash-design
Kirtland;s Distiller was a pipe similar to that in the 1890s.
I have a Ropp with very similar fittings and the same horn stem.
RoppHornStemMontagnarde_zpsf2fea6f5.jpg

I think mine is 1920s or earlier. I'd guess that pipe is of a like date.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
The fact that the glass is still intact after all this time is completely amazing! Thank you for sharing this!

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I've thought of a similar idea, of fitting a blown glass chamber in similar fashion. It would add as an reverse calabash effect and the coloring of the blown glass would add some aesthetic quality. Interesting to see a similar idea.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Does it enhance the smoking at all? It certainly is an interesting model, keeping some glass blower well employed while the model lasted. Amazing it lasted until now.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
The glass chamber reminds me of the silver Metcalfe's Patent Nicotine Catcher which was incorporated into the stems of certain of the early pipes manufactured by Loewe & Company. A picture of such a Loewe pipe may be found at the bottom of Page 229 in Richard Carleton Hacker's book titled "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Smoking."

May 31, 2012
The seller relisted this pipe (or a similar one) individually, the last listing was a group lot.
Only one photo is zoomable though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361481520741?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.