PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2017
One hundred and fifty six years ago tonight John Turner died. He was my great great great grandfather. Born in County Laois Ireland, a land locked area, in 1817, he joined the English Navy and went on to serve there as well as the Irish, and finally the English Coast Guard.
Tonight I decided to honour him a little with my evening. I fired up a new purchase, an unsmoked 2012 Peterson Christmas pipe filled with Peterson Irish Oak tobacco. To complete the picture I had a little smash of whiskey from West Cork Distillers, a company headquartered a few miles from where he married and began his family.
Irish Oak is one of my newer go to tobaccos. I love the full body, and the heavy smoke. Combined with the lighter whiskey it made for a superb night. Slainte John!

Feb 6, 2017
I was torn between opening the bottle of West Cork, and just going for the Jamieson's Port finish I had open. I'm glad I went for the lighter Cork. It's so pale it's almost clear.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I'm smoking a old Peterson Kapp Royal with some Hyde Park right now, and in spite of the fact that I burned my finger for the first time using it as a tamper, I salute your ancestors of Irish decent. Slainte!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sláinte mhaith! Have a bowl of Peterson's Perfect Plug burning in honor of your ancestor.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
How magnificent to have such knowledge of one's ancestors! One of my favorite teachers said that if we look closely enough, we see all our ancestors alive eternally in us. Here's to John Turner and you!

Feb 6, 2017
@jerwynn I've been actively involved in genealogy for over 35 years now. John Turner has always been once of my "favourite" ancestors. He's always led me to surprises...first that I have Irish background, then that he was an Irish catholic, and then the many ships of his naval career. It's fun to look at world history through the eyes of someone who sailed to Nova Scotia in the 1830's, and from there to Lebanon!
We're all stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.