PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
the prices for early Sasienis seem to keep climbing...
Pre WWII Sasieni Rustic 39. One Dot. Estate Pipe. Excellent Condition.
...just came across this page last night and it's quite glorious with great photos of wonderful old pipes, well worth a look!
http://bbs.pipevillage.org/thread-19847-1-1.html
Bonus link,

absolutely dropjaw pix of an 1895/1896 Barling!

http://bbs.pipevillage.org/thread-24257-1-1.html
If you look around that village, you'll see some very fine pipes, also perhaps the highest concentration of Micke Make pipes all in one place, just wow.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Once again, Misterlowercase comes through with some great info. I had advised the seller on that 1896 pipe and have a number of images of it myself. It's actually cased, which is how it remains in such great condition. I didn't know that the buyer was Chinese, but he got a very good deal, about $1400 on the piece. The sellers were skittish and gave that pipe away.
Sasieni one dots are the most sought after because the suit by Dunhill over the stem logo forced Sasieni to drop that logo after 1924. There aren't a lot of one dots floating around, though an influx from Kowloon could happen. While I would not describe the condition as excellent, there being too much wear for that descriptor, the sales price is right in line with market for Sasieni one dots. I know of no other make where the collectibility is totally based on the stem.

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
As info for those who use Google Chrome browser: At the top of the page Chrome asks if you want to translate the page from Chinese to English. Terrible translations make for some fun reading.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I was surprised on the price of that one dot, given the need to completely restore the pipe.
Really pristine one dot Sasieni pipes can go for $1200 or more. So, I didn't think the price completely insane, unlike the Barling Special that recently went for over $1500. That's about 3 times market. I'd have had to have been struck in the head with a mallet to make a bid like that.

May 31, 2012
Awesome Jesse, thanks for the additional info!
...and because briarfanatic mentioned googtrans, I gotta say,
google translate has long been one of my favorite robot translators, I've "written" quite a few "poems" using it, as this is only a fairly brief window perhaps for the wildly weird translations, because the technology will advance as time goes on I'm sure, I dunno exactly how accurate robotic translations will actually become, but I reckon it'll evolve to be more eloquent and nuanced...
btw,

my old bloog o googpooms,

if you dare,

content warning of possibly offensive language,

http://wordswithoutwords.blogspot.com/
...but for the time, we still have the great joys of googtrans!
The PipeVillage is reading us too, of course,

http://bbs.pipevillage.org/thread-24586-1-1.html
...and the "nut house" section provides some entertainment of the argumentative troll variety:
Kolchak said -

Come here three days, to express my views

Come here, first do not feel close to the people, the country people have, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan the mainland, but many people are trying to present himself as a nobleman.

However, with my knowledge of history, very few Chinese aristocracy, blue blood is extremely rare. You even Copenhagen immigrant, you do not integrate into, or where you do not mix it?

Smoking a pipe is the personal likes, I smoked my pipe down there truth. Brother, you do not say I did not future, I am the son of the mayor, I have drawn blood from the pits.

Brother came, opened a management consulting firm, of course, a complete failure. Studied the World Cultural and management culture.

Smoking is a personal preference, we just say, why say must be a struggle to break 12 hours of it? You think you are the British royal family, around 30 maidservants serve You for fighting?

I use a bucket with 10 years, I still fall at least one single-mindedness reputation.

You fight one day with a 10, you are not aristocrats, but also drop an inconstant fame, not to mention that you do not soak a few little girls?

I am not afraid Dalei, you even U.S. state governor, you even Chinese people, I dare you to PK.

Compare feel hypocritical here, nothing more, regarded himself as a nobleman. Brother, Chinese pipe forum, just hello.

Dalei with you, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan the mainland, just you very much.

Open paste, find me, follow you very much.
T Smoke responded -

Today, the road passing through the edge of the trash do not know who threw a menstrual paste (used).

http://bbs.pipevillage.org/thread-16793-1-4.html
It really is fun to look thru everything, like a hidden world of wonders...

May 31, 2012
When did the Sasieni market take off?
They used to be "under the radar" a bit it seems, from my readings...
Or have the One Dots and Eight Dots always commanded high prices?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The pre-war pipes have sold for very high prices for the last few years. From high to low, One Dots, Eight Dots,

post-war patent Four Dots, post 1950 Four Dots. Every now and then you see a Straight Grain, and of course they go for very good prices. The post 1950 Four Dots prices are trending upward, as are all the better known British factory pipes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I LOVE Google translate! More fun than a monkey of barrels. I use it on all sorts of pipe blogs and the results are pretty hysterical, similar to the stream of consciousness ramblings of a schizophrenic right after the spike has been driven past the orbital socket.
The rise in Sasieni prices works for me as I intend to sell all of mine in the not too distant future.
One dots and eight dots have always commanded somewhat higher prices than the four dots. There are some who believe that the eight dot stem indicated a higher grade of pipe than the four dot, but that's rubbish. The eight dot stem was a marketing gimmick. By putting 4 dots on either side of the stem, the brand of pipe was instantly recognizable to an onlooker in any direction, and Sasieni went after celebrity endorsements for their ad campaigns. They were much bigger in the US than they were in England.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I see dangling bucket bucket, but can not wait to put down the bucket mouth. . . . . Thought to think, it has failed to put down the bucket of wonderful vegetarian. . . . .
Black and white have to have taste, is an appetizer, waiting for dinner.
Two of my favorite "translations".

Status
Not open for further replies.