PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've been wanting to get myself a good scale, that measures in grams, to weigh the bulk tobaccos in my cellar. It would have to be on a pretty tight budget though, and preferably digital. I don't even have a clue as to where to look! Any suggestions?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Police auctions come to mind. Can't remember the url but there are online police auction sites, similar to eBay. Local departments may still have real auctions too. Although,if you still need to weigh in grams, I would spend your cash on tobacco.
Mike S.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Amazon, Target, cook stores, bed, bath and beyond. for under $20 you can get a scale that reads in either oz or g and a handy feature where you can weight an empty jar & lid combo then zero the scale and weight everything still in jars.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you plan on blending tobaccos, get a scale that reads in fractions of a gram. This way you don't have to mix, for example,

20 grams of a base leaf just to get a 5% proportion of condiment (1 gram) exactly right.
I've seen fraction-reading scales on the web, but I don't know how accurate they are.

wlfwalleye

Lurker
Jul 2, 2011
USPS.com 5lb digital scale for $24.99.

Weighs from 0.1ounce to 5lbs or (1 gram to 2 kilograms).

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
As much as I hate to suggest it check out your local head shop. Most pot heads flunked out of high school but they seem to weigh "stuff" a lot. Most head shops have a variety of scales. :oops:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yeah, it's funny...when someone sees a scale nowadays, that's the very first thing that comes to their mind. Drug dealer. I kind of collect scales, there's a half-dozen lab scales around the house, some are fairly old and cool-looking. It all started when I was mixing my own darkroom formulas, then I moved in to homebrewing, now I also make soap and I'm starting to blend tobacco. So I need scales. But I often see that sideways glance when guests visit.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
For a tight budget, definitely check out good kitchen scales (Sur La Table or online).

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks guys! I did a little digging last night and found a few on Target's web site. I might have to go there this week and check them out, if they have them in stock.
@mikestanley. I actually have a good size cellar (for me anyway), probably 25lbs or so. But a lot of it is in jars, so I would like to have an accurate inventory of what I have in those jars.
@dochudson. That is what I was hoping to be able to do! Weigh an empty, zero the scale, then weigh a full jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.