American Straight Virginias & VaPers:Suggestions Please.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I am tentatively on the hunt for American straight Virginia and VaPer blends to trial. I have tried a few (courtesy of forum member Drennan) with mixed feelings, some rather nice and some just so so. Nothing has really blown my socks off as FVF and St. James Flake/Plug do.
I have a list of McClelland blends to try but am seeking out others from other manufacturers. I was surprised that GLP has next to nothing in their range as with a few other blenders. It would seem the most popular genres are aromatics and Balkan blends which came as a bit of a surprise.
So guys, any suggestions for me? Please, nothing with any Latakia or anything so obscure it cannot be found.
Looking forward to your tips :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Jay, my favorite American VA by far is GL Pease's Union Square. Whereas McClelland has that vinegary smell/taste, Union Square has a very clean, clear VA flavor. It's a little bit sweet (naturally sweet), a little bit "bready" or "yeasty" and has a bit of warm spice. Decent nicotine as well -- much more so than McClelland's. As far as I know, it has minimal casing and no additional flavoring, so it has a very natural VA taste.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Mcclelland Personal Reserve series: Blackwoods and St James Woods.

Mcclelland Beacon and Beacon Extra, Mature Virginia #27 and #24, Boston 1776, and Epitome.

Yeh, as much as I think Greg Pease is a genius, he is a genius with latakia... in my opinion. GLP and C&D just don't tickle my taste buds with their Virginias. But, I do love aspects of what they do. Now, McClelland is the master of Virginias in my opinion. But, once you've gotten past their Matured #27 and Red Cake, the nuances of the subtle differences in blends such as Sundown, Aurora, and such might get lost on the new to Virginia tongues, as the tastes in flavors are very subtle.
MacBarens Pure Virginia is an ok little flake. And, if you like FVF, you'll find a lot of similarities.
The rest, you'll just have to try.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
While Greg is the master of Latakia, he's produced some fine Virginia, Va/Per blends as well. Union Square, Telegraph Hill, Fillmore - which has a touch of Latakia in it - come to mind. And his Haddo's Delight is one of my all time favorites. McClelland's Virginia's are justly prized and love as much for their vinegary ketchup taste as for anything else. McClelland's Virginias are classics. McCrainie's Red Flake and Red Ribbon are two of the finest single crop Red Virginia blends made today, tangy, funky, and delicious. Hearth&Home offers up some very fine choices and one of their most popular is Anniversary Kake, a delicious Va/Per.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
For pure VA tobacco at a wonderful price it's hard to beat D&R's PenHooker, although it is comprised of 50% Canadian grown leaf.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3497/d-r-tobacco-penhooker

Oct 7, 2016
McClelland Personal Reserve Dark Star and Blackwood's Flake, IMO, are both truly exceptional straight from the factory and only get better with age.
McClelland introduced many variations on the VA/Per theme after they released Personal Reserve St.James Woods, but none very much better, IMO. The same comment about aging applies. If anyone has any 2015 that is at least two or three years old they will send you, I think you will like it. I used to be a volume smoker, and I smoked a lot of it, but it has to me a sharpness that goes past the usually welcome tang that mellows out with modest age. I had a little bit that I managed to hoard for 8 years and it was as good as any VA/Per I ever smoked. Most McClellands need a little drying time.
As with others, I am convinced that the characteristic smell of McClellands is a good thing. A very good thing. With only one exception, I have found contemporary Continental and UK Virginia's to be too acerbic for my taste. They are, in many cases admittedly if you do much research at all, chemically processed African and Indian tobacco's that purport to be from Virginia seed. YMMV
One quick note, I have not smoked any C & D blends in many years. Those that I did sample were Latakia forward, including Friedman and Pease. I knew Craig Tarler from his attendance at many, many pipe shows, and I always thought, and do, that he was a man of great integrity, committed to delivering a quality product. So, whatever I have to say about McClelland should in no way be taken as saying anything negative about C & D.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
Jay, I too love those SG flakes. I like McClelland virginias even more!
Straight VA:

McClelland Blackwoods Flake
Vaper:

McClelland St. James Woods

McClelland 2015 (jar it up for a year or two, at least)

H&H Anniversary Kake

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Jay, my favorite Virginias are Capstan, Wessex Campaign Dark Flake and Gawith Best Brown. For VaPers it's Escudo, Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls and, of course, St. James Flake.
Edit: Oops, you said American-- disregard the above :/

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I agree with Watch City Old Dominion is an outstanding VaPer. Watch City 558 is also an outstanding VaPer, but its been discontinued I believe.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
A lot of people really like Cornell & Diehl's Bayou Morning for a stout American Va/Per. I say stout because the batch I had really knocked me out, and I don't mean in a good way. The Perique was a bit much for me, as was the nic hit. That being said, I can see why Perique lovers favor this blend. It seems to be iconic, and from an iconic American tobacco house. Dunhill DNR restored my faith in Va/Pers, and that is my go-to. I will give Bayou Morning another go as it wouldn't be the first time a blend worked better for me the second time around. I think for straight Virginia explore the lovely list from McClelland, as nicely outlined in this thread. They really seem to have the touch with straight Virginia. That being said, it's hard to beat FVF! I am smoking a bowl right now in a Comoy's billiard. Brit baccy in a Brit pipe is just grand.

Knowing Jay's taste in some blends and genre. Just forget about Bayou Morning. I didn't find it very stout in nicotine at all, but that's not the reason. I just don't think that You would enjoy this one very much. I'm not it's biggest fan either. I cannot taste any natural sweetness or flavors of the dry, bland Virginias that they use over the burley and perique heat. There is something unusual about C&D's Virginias, not in all of their blends but in most. They taste air cured, not flue cured. Very course, without any sophistication to them.

Now, don't get me wrong, C&D are masters at what they are good at and the best in others. But, there are so many other Virginias and VaPers out there. It's ok though. Not everyone can be the best at everything. :puffy:

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Bayou Morning, my go-to morning smoke 6 out of 7 days. When I want a change, D&R Rimboche A.P.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks guys, but some of you can't have read the line...
I have a list of McClelland blends to try but am seeking out others from other manufacturers.
...also it was remiss of me to not list the few that I have tried so here they are...
McClelland's Tudor Castle, Beacon and Beacon Extra.
GLP's Stratford, Union Square, Telegraph Hill and Fillmore.
Cornell & Diehl's Opening Night and Sunday Picnic.
All of the above tins I have enjoyed to varying degrees bar Fillmore which for reasons unknown declines to mention the Latakia content on the tin :(
I am only aware of the main American blenders so there must be many out there that I never heard of.
The idea is to garner suggestions from you kind folks so as I can then read their reviews on Tobaccoreviews.com to get a rough idea if a particular blend might tickle my fancy.
I already see a few candidates so will look them up in the morning, thanks chaps :clap:
Regards,
Jay.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Check out:
Iwan Ries & Co
Pipeworks & Wilke
Kramer's (also available on Smokingpipes.com)
4 Noggins
These are smaller than McC, et al, but well respected and enjoyed. I believe they are all in-house blended; please correct me if I am mistaken. I am sure that there are many others that I am not aware of. I wonder if there is a directory or list of blenders by country?

Sounds like a fun hunt you are on.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Since you state you are after American Virginia's, McClellend's really is the master of these. I would definitely try the Christmas Cheer before it's gone for ever, it's a single crop straight Va, as well as McCranies Red flake or ribbon. McClellend's Blackwoods flake is another great one. The secret to McClellend's is you have to pop a tin, put the plastic lid back on it and let it sit undisturbed for about a month before you actually try it, or there really isn't alot of flavor. There is something magical that happens in that month. There is a tangy quality to american Va that there isn't with SG FVF and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.