PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
So I've heard of and smoke English Blends; but what is an American Blend? View www.tobaccoreview.com allows one to sort by blends, and apparently there are lots of American blends. I see Carter Hall is in the list, but there are a lot of others. Just wonder what they are - anyone smoking this type? What do you enjoy?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would classify D&R's Two Timer Gold and Rimboché S.J. as essentially American blends.

I think many Burley-Virginia-Perique blends would qualify.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
American Blend tobacco is one of the more popular choices among pipe smokers who just want a good tobacco. It doesn't have some of the rich, aromatic flavors of other blends, but it does include a lot of sweet elements. Rich flavors and mixtures can be added once the tobacco is cured, which depends on the maker and the style. Burley, Virginia, and Oriental blends are most commonly known as American blends. They offer a unique taste and a craftsmanship that dates back for many years. These tobaccos were cultivated in areas like Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee where tobacco farming was popular during the 1800s.
Although a lot of people assimilate tobacco production with the deep south, much of the American production that created the blends that we know today were created in middle-southern states and even some northern states like Ohio. These tobaccos can be air cured, like Burley which is mostly used for cigarettes. They might also be cured in other ways, depending on the style and blend that you're looking at. While some people prefer the luxury and upscale look of some international and European tobacco blends, there is something hearty and enjoyable about American blends.
Beginners and experienced smokers alike can find a variety of different blends and styles to choose from. Some of the other popular options are Virginia blend (which is technically an American blend) and Turkish blend, although this is much preferred for cigarettes rather than pipe tobacco. Aromatic blends use a lot of American blend bases to give them the perfect start to a good smoke, before additives are included to create the finished product. Of course, there are many varieties and styles to choose from in the market today.
A lot of people prefer standard American blend tobacco for its simplicity and hearty smoke. Others like it because it's just classic and gives a good flavor. It doesn't matter what your reasons are because there are plenty of American styles that you can find to enjoy when you want a new style of pipe tobacco. Take the time to check out these classic blends and see which ones you like best. You can even mix and match them and blend your own if you're more experienced, to create a totally unique smoking experience. It helps to get input from other smokers if you're new to the market so that you can find the right tobacco for your tastes.
"http://www.tobaccopipes.com/american-blend-tobacco/"
BTW: That link was to a russian site, Ive noticed that it was a pipe-Magazine. Do we have something similar in English?

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
When I think of American blends, my thoughts go to GOOD OLD OTC'S. Sir Walter, Carter, Prince, etc. These to me(for what it is worth) are the TRUE American Blends...

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Geirove - thanks for the wonderful info. Very much appreciate the effort. Thanks also for telling me of the link issue in my post. By the time I saw your post, I could no longer edit. Amazing what happens when one leaves out a tiny letter such a "s". At least it did not bring you to a Russian wife site!
The link should read http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/
Thanks Cortz. And I'm with you Weezel, that was my thought, but when you go to http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/ there are lots of blends to choose.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
haroldt:
In my opinion American blends are typcially Burley-based, but may also contain Virginia and/or Cavendish tobaccos. Because of the basic blandness of Burley (in his "The Ultimate Pipe Book" author Richard Carleton Hacker described Burley as having, "...an almost transparent flavor when used by itself...") it is frequently cased to provide a particular taste and aroma.
I like American blends, and some of my favorites include Prince Albert, Half and Half (the old American Tobacco Company product - NOT the current iteration), Kentucky Club, Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Mixture, Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, Sugar Barrel, and Heine's Blend. These provide a pleasant alternative to English and Virginia/Perique mixtures.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
From what I'm reading here, it looks like I've smoked some "American" blends. Hearth and Home "Old Companion."
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72717/hearth-home-signature-old-companion/#p-116130

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I would check out the Hearth and Home "Mid-Town" series. These are Russ Ouellette's matches of classic codger blends. Also check the 4 blends that P&C sells under the Missouri Meerschaum label also blended by Russ. I have been smoking Chestnut and American Patriot.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I may be mistaken, but I believe Old Companion was supposed to be a "Similar Blend" to Barking Dog. A good blend in its own right, but not "Barking Dog"...

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
At least it did not bring you to a Russian wife site!
Well, I wish you did ;)
Somehow ive allways considered Lane limited 1Q as a american blend, just because I was asking for suggestions here on all american blends and that blend came up. I just love 1Q now, it has become my go to tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burley seems to be an old American standard, as well as burley-Virginia blends, bur/Va/Cavendish, and many burley aromatics. I think of Cornell & Diehl as being a fundamentally American blender even when they are doing more traditional English blends, because of the strength of their non-aromatic burley blends that set the tone of their line.

Reactions: Goggy302

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Interesting MSO489.
Weesell. When I first came back to smoking pipe 2 years ago, Bill Budd was one of the first blends I tried. I was given a bunch of C&D products from a cigar shop that decided to no longer sell pipe products (cigars sold faster for him.) Bill Budd was one - I liked it to a point but found it a tad strong. It's still on my list of baccy's to try again.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
If you want to try classic American blends, check out Pipeworks & Wilke. Not the aromatic blends, which are outstanding in their own right, but the classics such as HighHat and Bestmake. 100+ year old recipes. Pipe tobacco doesn't get any better.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
When I think of American blends, I think of burley forward blends. The old OTCs mentioned - Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Kentucky Club - are classics, although the leaf may not be as high quality as some other blends. As mentioned, the Midtown series from Hearth & Home are good examples, as is Lane's Ready Rubbed, a revival of Edgeworth RR.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
I continue to thank you folks for helping. I"ll be checking out all the suggestions. It's it nice to be part of a ACTIVE forum??

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've never heard of "American blends". I've heard of people refer to a blend as an American English or an American Aromatic, but never just "American blend". If someone asked me to define an American blend I don't think I'd have an answer for them.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Lord of the pipe - I know, I had never heard it either and if pressed I'd guess Sir Walter, Prince Albert... But if you go to www.tobaccoreviews.com, you and search by blend- poof there it is. http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?BlendType=american%2CAmerican

Status
Not open for further replies.