PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Just smoked Carter Hall my second time and....just don't really care for it. Am I the only one?
Actually, I can seem to find any OTC I enjoy much. SWR isn't too bad.
I think when I found Virginia flakes I found my nirvana...

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
It's okay, but I don't love it. It's fine as a blender in my opinion, but not gangbusters on its own.
But oh the chicks, the chicks are back! :puffpipe:

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Tarak, No you are not the only one. Bought myself a smaller pouch, loved the first bowl, second okay, third bad, never tried it again. I don't mind a OTC but this one was not for me.

How's the little guy doing? His smile makes everyone light up around here!

The first few times I tried it, it seemed to dry my mouth out to where I had to stop smoking for the rest of the day. But, after it set for a few weeks, I came back to it, and it was pretty good. It's almost completely dry, except the preservative keeps it from drying completely. I seem to get more flavor from it this way. It isn't my first choice, but it makes for a quick smoke, as it seems to burn faster than the flakes that I'm used to.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I'm thinking that it's the preservatives in OTC brands I don't care for. They all have this flavor undertone that I don't like.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'm too snobby for a blend like that, plus I don't like burley dominated tobacco. With the prices online and what I'm used to paying in canada I only go for the good stuff. I can just tell I wouldn't like CH because of the burley.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I tried it fresh out of the bag....nope. Tried it after 6 months in a jar....nope. Tried it 3 or so weeks ago after a year in the jar....yup. Good light tasting smoke. Blended a 50/50 with some 1Q, very nice.
Warren

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Nope, don't care for it. My general take on the OTCs is they're OK if that's all you can find or is what your budget allows for, but otherwise... Smoke the best tobacco you can afford. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some folks just don't like CH, and others just don't like burley, whether it's CH or something else. People

have different tastes and taste things differently. I like burley, and I like low-key tobacco, in rotation with

other stronger and/or edgier blends. Not to worry, as the Brits say, there is a world of non-burley tobaccos,

blends and single-leaf out there. I enjoy many of those too!

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I like it, but it's a little boring. I much prefer Prince Albert, and find it a satisfying all day bite-free smoke that people around me enjoy the aroma of. I pretty much only buy Carter hall if, for whatever reason, Rite-aid is out of stock on Prince Albert.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I think I'm probably not a burley fan, at least not straight. I've tried, because I love the description of it...but....not there. I don't mind it as part of a blend, like Esoterica Tilbury, that's yummy stuff!

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
It's a "meh" blend for me. I prefer Prince Albert for a straight Burley OTC. Half and Half has become my OTC of choice though.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Had it not been for a "why not" type purchase moment, I more than likely would have never become a pipe smoker. I had initially gone the way of so many by originally purchasing a Dr. G pipe and a big old plastic sack of the Tobacco Place brand Vanilla. After repeated tongue scorchings I began to question how or why anyone would want to inflict this kind of insanity upon ones self. So stop I did. Then one day I was I a cig outlet store picking up a couple hand made cigars and I started browsing the OTC pipe blend offerings and decided to give it another go with a pouch of CH. By then I had also discovered the then infant stage of the online pipe world and got schooled on packing and smoking techniques. I remember clearly how pleasant that Burley blend was and I started smoking it in earnest. Only after developing some skills and the ability to enjoy a "better" grade of tobacco, did I then start to explore the more complex, gourmet blends. Carter Hall will always hold a place in my pipe smoking heart and occasionally in my rotation, especially in a cob.

Status
Not open for further replies.