Am I the ONLY fellow who simply cannot abide Perique?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I confess, I feel a bit left out. But early in my pipe smoking career, as I began to mature away from drug store blends, I started to learn of this storied bayou dweller. I heard tales of exotic blends like Escudo and and OGS, and knew I must find and try them. And I did.
And I hated them.
Where others tasted spice and tang, I got only the sense that something was spoiled. {I took my first tin of OGS back to the B&M where I bought it becuase I thought it had "gone bad." The kindly old fellow there explained the facts of life to me.}
And if I disliked Perique, it liked me no better. Headache was inevitable; nausea was not out of the question. {And this for a guy who smokes and enjoys the most robust, sun-grown cigars the islands can produce and who never met a Lat-bomb or Vitamin N dose he didn't welcome.}
It was years before I tried Perique of any sort again. I think it was Haddo's Delight when that came out about the turn of the century. The damned description was so enticing. . . and it had BLACK CAVENDISH in it! How troublesome could it possibly be?
Answer? It tasted vile to me, gave me a headache and turned my poor delicate tummy. (No slam on GLP, whose work I love. I am clearly the problem here. It's not you, it's me.)
My last foray was perhaps five years ago. Someone gifted me some Escudo and I was trying to be polite -- and hoping that maybe things had changed. Nope. All the nope.
So, am I allergic to this stuff? Can that be?
I know the French say chacun a son gout , but -- come on. Am I alone in this?
Anyone else?
Bueller?

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Allergic? Doubtful.
Is it possible that it "just doesn't work for you"? Absolutely. There are others here who have mentioned intolerances to perique, or red virginia, or what have you. Its a bummer that you would have it to Perique because....yummy.
I was going to suggest you try a Perique that is more on the "fruity" end of the spectrum than the "peppery" end....but I think you have done so in Haddos. If you were going to try just one more time, I just steer you toward H&H Anniversary Kake.
IF you've mostly smoked Drugstore Tobaccos....these are heavy toward burley blends. Most of these "good" perique blends you mention will be heavier on the Virginia, which most be smoked much more slow and delicate or they just taste bitter and burn your tongue. Are you absolutely sure you aren't just "over smoking" Virginia leaf? Most these blends must be sipped gently to be appreciated.
But, that said, you could just plain and simple not be compatible with Perique.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm not a freak for the stuff, but I've never come up against the adverse effects you describe (thankfully!). I've been told that perique is what gives Nightcap its distinctive zing, which I like, and is what gives dimension to OGS. Escudo, I can't coax flavor out of in the first place, let alone parse out what perique may be doing for it.
If there's an allergen in it, I don't know what it would be. I'm guessing your system (pH again?) just does not like the stuff.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
@tarak: "IF you've mostly smoked Drugstore Tobaccos. . . " Not for 25 years or more. My last bit of Captain Black has to have been that long ago. I've been a confirmed English/Oriental/Latakia fellow since my earl 30s.
And I honestly don't think it's down to technique. 35 years of pipe smoking -- since my college days -- and I think I've got the system down pretty well.
I do agree it's unlikely I am technically allergic . . . but I wonder.
@aldecaker: That's the thing -- even a trace of the stuff seems to ring that bad note for me.
Ah well, gladly there is plenty of good stuff out there. Not like one MUST enjoy Perique. But the whole thing just adds to the multi-dimensional wonder of the hobby.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yeah, I know when I find a blend I don't really like it's a bummer. Not like there's not a million more to try, but each one seems like "one less" for me to enjoy!

Reactions: TheWhale13

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
A couple years ago I wasn't quite where you are, but was indifferent. Couldn't understand all the fuss and didn't get the tastes I'd heard other reporting. I just got a tingling tongue. As of late though, I can't get enough! OJK, Chenet's, Sam's St. James, Bayou Morning are all favorites now. I got a deal on the P&C's mix your own blend recently - 4 parts Red VA, 3 parts Loosiana Leaf and 1 part White Burley - not bad at all!

/shrug

Give it another go down the road - things change!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Tslex
You are not alone
I do not get ill from Perique, but I find that that 'spicy' taste is a bit too much for me. Strange, because I do enjoy spicy food.
Early on when joining the forum, I was directed to all manner of flakes and I stocked up on them, many with Perique.
I still smoke them, but I find my love is toward the Lat blends, with maybe just a touch of perique as an accent.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Huckleberry! That's it! If I mix Perique with huckleberry . . . .
Sigh.
I think it is not to be.

Dec 24, 2012
This is too bad.
The reference to OGS is odd though - I still don't believe that blend has any perique, but I don't want to pick at that tired old scab again.
The fact that you love strong cigars is also surprising to me. As someone who started smoking cigars long before I ever picked up a pipe, I have always found that many perique blends are the closest thing I can find to that of a good hand-rolled maduro cigar in terms of taste.
Still, sometimes we just have body chemistry issues that make some blends unpalatable for us. Luckily for you there are plent of great blends without perique.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Pure Perique has always smelled like "dog poop" to me. But recently I bought some Peter Stokkebye 311 Perique for the price and its strength in nicotine for blending. I am trying it with different tobaccos and finding a liking to its addition. The nic hit is its real attraction but I have to use it sparingly or the "dog poop" rears its head. My taste buds have always enjoyed Latakia and I keep some pure blending Latakia on hand to doctor up tobaccos I try which aren't quite to my liking. This makes them smokable. I am now adding a little perique mostly for the strength and finding its growing on me. I enjoy its homemade mixtures before bedtime. Also for a quick bowl when I don't have time for the full ritual it fits the occasion quite well.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Look, tslex, we've known each other for awhile now and I would have thought of you had a problem with me you would send a pm. Taking this to a public forum is really in poor taste.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Seriously though, I think it's like hot peppers. I love hot peppers. Many people do. But some folks who I find to be otherwise intelligent and interesting people simply don't care for them. It's just a preference. Heck, some people like mayonnaise. So there's no accounting for taste.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have sometimes wondered if I have a similar problem with burleys- when they get to be over x % (quantity unknown) of the blend.
Sorry for your conundrum!
PS, I love mayo, esp. with capers, lemon juice, a touch of catsup, and a lot of cold lobster.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Peck- keep in mind the "I've been told" part. I could have have been misled, and could not swear that there is or isn't perique in OGS. P&C seems convinced, because they list the ingredients as being Perique and Va. There is something added to the Va in OGS, whether it is perique or not, to alter the flavor profile.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Although I love a hefty Balkan/English/Perique blend, after about 20 minutes I start getting a peppery burn in my sinuses. I've restored to small doses in small pipes to keep it at bay but still enjoy it.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
This is too bad.

The reference to OGS is odd though - I still don't believe that blend has any perique, but I don't want to pick at that tired old scab again.

The fact that you love strong cigars is also surprising to me. As someone who started smoking cigars long before I ever picked up a pipe, I have always found that many perique blends are the closest thing I can find to that of a good hand-rolled maduro cigar in terms of taste.

Still, sometimes we just have body chemistry issues that make some blends unpalatable for us. Luckily for you there are plent of great blends without perique.
I hear you about opening up the scab on OGS, but to this day it still has me bugged. The Scandinavian Tobacco Group of Denmark, which produces OGS states on its site:
TOBACCO SELECTION: A touch of Perique adds zesty new life to the flavor of Flue-cured Virginia tobacco.
However, to this day it still only states on the tin: ‘A mixture of golden , mature Virginia tobaccos from the traditional districts in eastern USA.
If by chance it does contain any Perique I would have to compare it to an extra dry Vodka Martini (the way I like them) in so much that the bottle of Vermouth is simply passed over the glass. OK, enough of beating that dead horse.
I seriously doubt that it’s an allergic reaction to Perique as it doesn’t fit the symptoms of an allergen. However, and just to make a crazy comparison, I can’t tolerate fried liver as it actually gives me a gag reflex. My mother used to make it on occasion when I was a child fried in onions and it always looked delicious, but after one bite, no matter how hard I tried to eat it I would gag. Luckily my mother and father never forced me to eat it, but when it was served for dinner I had to simply go without eating except for whatever side dish she made. A few years ago I went to a Christmas party and they had an assortment of Hors d'oeuvres and one in particular looked scrumptious because it was wrapped in bacon, and I’ll never refuse my chance to eat pig candy. I simply popped the whole damn thing into my mouth, chewed and swallowed it. I then realized that it was fried chicken livers and I was honestly sick for about a half hour by the mere taste! Could possibly be that your aversion to Perique is simply the aversion and reaction I have to liver. Hey... I’m stretching things here, but what the hell.
Perique wrote:
Look, tslex, we've known each other for awhile now and I would have thought of you had a problem with me you would send a pm. Taking this to a public forum is really in poor taste.
Good one Perique, and thank God you didn’t choose the username of Liver as you would then end up on my shit list! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.