PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pastordaniel

Lurker
Sep 20, 2015
I love pipe forums and all the information shared. However, having been at this for only 2 months and with no other tobacco in my past, I sometimes feel that the threads are so high level that I just stare like a deer in the headlights. I am on step #2 and the rest of you are on step #127. Did I miss the stuff in the middle?
Based on what I have learned, I am forging ahead with this in mind: I am currently smoking through the tobaccos I own - one at a time (our disposable income will not support many purchases, let alone PAD or TAD). Somewhere along the way the advice of “smoke one tobacco with one packing method for a couple weeks before trying a different tobacco” stuck. Here is the smoking plan I have for myself, in order, based on the tobaccos I own:
Carter Hall – 1 pouch

Velvet – 1 pouch

Half & Half – 1 pouch

SWR – 1 pouch

Virginia Gold Cherry Cavendish – got a 9 oz bag (so that will take a while to smoke through)

Virginia Gold Black Cavendish – also a 9 oz bag

Capt Black White – 1 pouch
I only own 4 MM cobs – 2 legends, and 1 each of a Washington and Country Gentleman. Been doing Frank method, and today starting 2-step packing. I will not buy any more tobacco until my CBW is almost gone.
I offer this up for (1) validation, (2) recommendations of a different smoking order, or (3) something else I haven’t considered. I appreciate you reading this far, and thank you for any input.
In His name.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I see no reason for you to smoke through your tobaccos one blend at a time. I think most folks use the rotation method. Besides breaking the monotony, doing so allows your palate to make comparisons.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
PM Sent.
Also...I'm on year three of this....I learn something new all the time.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
+1 on what Cortez said.
A lot of forum members have 10-20 different blends open just for the variety and having a blend that matches your mood at a certain time. I definitely wouldn't worry about smoking one pouch completely before starting the next. Variety is the spice of life.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If being fully organized and scheduled is your thing, go for it. I prefer much less regimentation in my smoking. It's whatever gives you an enjoyable smoking experience. Some people thrive only in a very organized manner, fewer decisions involved, less thinking. Do what makes you happy with regard to the pipe and blends.
I try not to over think the pipe. The opinion of others is often good reading, sometimes educational, and always confusing.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I smoke a different tobacco every day just to spice up my day at work. Have honestly lost count of how many jars that I have in my active rotation, but could easily smoke Carter Hall everyday. Sounds like you are off to a good start, just make sure that your smoking is satisfying to you. Alot of us on here will post about a particilar tobacco that we have found that we like, but don't take that as reason to buy another tin or pouch. Smoke different blends and find one you really like, then explore that genre as much as finances allow. This also aides in bulk purches which are much kinder on the wallet!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think you're on a fine track. Four MM cobs is a sufficient rotation, and they are very serviceable pipes. Different packing methods are nothing but a matter of experimentation until you find what suits you best. The only potential problem I can see is that, to me, you really only have two different tobaccos. Bear in mind, I am in the realm of 100% opinion here. As correct as I may think I am, many others may differ strongly!
Although I think Carter Hall tastes better than Velvet, Half&Half, and SWR, they are far more similar than they are different. The same with the Virginia Golds and Captain Black; the top flavors are different, but that's about it. On a budget, you still have a very diverse selection of tobacco styles available at a very affordable price in the Peter Stokkebye line. Just my two cents. Best of luck on the journey, and don't hesitate to ask questions!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I began with codger burleys and found that I needed to develop my palate and technique as I slowly inched away from most of the typical first foibles. Each time I tried a different codger blend, it would take me awhile to appreciate the change.

Oftentimes I find that it takes several ounces of smoking a particular blend for me to perceive more of its attributes.

Nowadays I like to smoke a bowl of Latakia and Virginia during the day as well as burley blends.

Enjoy your smoke!

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I agree with Cortez as well... rotation will help keep you interested too. I love ice cream, but I don't want to eat vanilla everyday of my life, change it up. You'll also learn that tobaccos take on different taste throughout the day and with your different moods.

Also 4 cobs is plenty to start with... later on you can start to add to it if you so choose to... but for sure, don't over think it. I see you point that you feel everyone is light years ahead... but just take your time and do what feels right FOR YOU.
Happy smokes to you. :puffy:

Mar 1, 2014
That entire lineup is Burley or aromatics, I love Carter Hall, but I would say you are missing Latakia, Virginia, Orientals and Perique.

There's no rush though, you learn a little more with each blend and each bowl. Just never stop trying new things. After a year and a half and 100+ blends, this week I had my first really nice bowl of cube cut Burley.
This is a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle, finishing one corner and stopping there only shows you a small piece of the picture, but starting on 50 different spots takes a long time to build anything recognizable. It takes a long time no matter what, and there's no wrong place to start, just make sure you're having a good time.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I recommend to go wild with different tobaccos that you don´t know (as far as your wallet allows). It´s a great journey and you will find out what suits you best and gives you the most pleasure. Pipe smoking can be made into a science but it is not necessary to enjoy it.

Mar 1, 2014
Along with the recommendation to branch out, don't rely too much on first impressions.

Sometimes the tobacco is different after sitting for a year, and sometimes you are, but "never say never". If you don't like something, mark it down as "try again later".

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Wish I coulda stopped a just seven tobaccos (no, not really). When you do get to where you want to branch out, several online vendors do sampler packs. Or you can find a club, or a brick and mortar store, where they offer samples.

pastordaniel

Lurker
Sep 20, 2015
I really and genuinely appreciate ALL of your posts, because they are all facets of this great big gem we call “pipe smoking.” I know I am a beginner, but my M.B.A. degree (I worked for Sun Microsystems and Philips before my call into ministry) makes me analyze the process of those things with which I have interest. So, please forgive my skepticism. Let me give one specific as an example of my skepticism –the recurring phrase I read in posts about how certain tobaccos “satisfy the sweet tooth.”
This morning I DGT ¾ bowl of Carter Hall (see my smoking agenda in my OP – I am still early on in the process). Now, I have tried ALL the tobaccos I own, with varying degrees of success/failures and likes/dislikes, which influenced me to formulate a methodical process/plan of attack. Anyway, with ¼ bowl left of my CH, and a desire to smoke longer than that, I took a pinch (~ ½ bowl) of my Virginia Gold blend I made (3x Cherry Cav with 1x Black Cav) and dropped that in. I had hoped my journey into Carter Hall would now allow me to experience this “sweet tooth” that had previously eluded me. No dice. In fact, I recognized how my puffing pace increased in order to achieve this goal. Well, after some tongue bite, I just told myself to smoke it like it was CH and see what happens. There was no difference. The aroma was slightly different, but nothing like I would call “sweet.” As well, I had an oily “something” in my mouth – not taste, not a film, but something that made me think, “Bleccch.” At one relight, I realized the Virginia Gold was gone and I was back to my ¼ bowl of CH – mostly because that bleccch was gone. Thoroughly frustrated at my failed experiment, I didn’t even finish my bowl of CH – just dumped what was left. I don’t want to accuse anyone of selling me a bill of goods, nor that this is some weird cult, but this “sweet tooth” thing sounds like everyone has bought into it, and that only by immersing myself will I ever hope of having this “Eureka” moment.
This is an example of why I feel like a deer in the headlights. I hope/believe that someday I may achieve step #127, but from step #2 I can’t even see the path of how to get there. For now, I will keep smoking and stumbling about. Thanks for reading this far.
In His name.

Mar 1, 2014
Dude needs a tin of Ennerdale.
Do it. (I'm only sort of kidding)
Carter hall is an easy burning smoke that has a nice overall profile, it's not a flavor bomb. The sample of Captain Black is probably your best bet in that department.
My first bowl of Samuel Gawith St. James Flake tasted roughly equivalent to a cup of water with a teaspoon of sugar. We're not talking about 7-11 softdrinks here, think "one lump or two". You become more sensitive to the flavor over time.

The best analog I can think of is eating spicy food. Sweet and spicy exists, but you're not going to taste it on your first go around if you've been eating nothing but potatoes and apple pie your whole life.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
First, get rid of the velvet, half and half and swr as they taste like an ashtray and In no way represent how good pipe smoking really is. Smoke multiple tobaccos and try your capt black first imo. Try not to use the same pipe more than twice a day and dedicate each pipe to either aromatics, non aros or English blednds

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
+1, except I would say get rid of all that junk and buy one tin of decent non-aromatic non-Latakia tobacco, like Escudo for example. I tried some of those OTC junk in my youth, but it was after I had been smoking B&M house blends and high-end tinned blends. If I'd started out with OTC's I probably would've given up the pipe quickly. The cobs are fine though, in fact I'd sooner smoke a cob than some cheap varnished briar.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
You're going to find blends that you like and blends that taste horrid to you......part of the process. Everyone's tastes are a bit different which is why there are hundreds of different blends for sale. You might want to try some of Lanes bulk offerings like 1-Q and such where you can buy an ounce or two to sample. I like some of Peter Stokkebye's bulk offerings as well which would offer you an inexpensive way to try a variety of blend types.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Dan: Your palate is singular. Try different blends when you have the time to sit and enjoy. You'll soon find out what you prefer in taste. Everyone's personal choice is just that, a personal choice. "Sweet" is a subjective observation. And, there really is no junk. It's what your palate enjoys, not what others palates enjoy.
If you have access to a tobacconist, visit and explain what you are looking for. Tell him what you have found to be close and what is unacceptable. He'll have a bunch of blends in jars you can test drive. He may even be able to point you in the right direction.
If that's not possible, purchase on-line in small quantities. Test each blend thoroughly, to the bottom of the bowl unless you simply can't stomach the blend. Very few blends give consistent taste through an entire bowl. And, more importantly, your palate can change throughout the day. So, when you find something close, keep it handy and try it again another day.
"Stumbling about" is not necessarily a bad thing if you can separate your analytical bent from the search for a good tobacco. The pipe is subtle and not necessarily amenable to deep analysis. At least until you have developed a foundation to work with. The only way you can do that is to experiment, looking for the pleasant surprise. The "eureka" moment is is a real kick. I think "pressing" can detract from the hunt. Relax, lower your expectations a bit and enjoy the search. Learn from the "bad" experience while savoring the good ones.
Luck to you in your journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.