PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
So I have gotten pretty efficient smoking my pipes. I generally rub out my flakes and have no issues. However if I try the fold and stuff method I go through a lighter along with a box of matches to keep that thing lit. What is the deal? Doesn't matter how dry I get the baccy. Am I really missing out on that much flavor that I should keep trying this method?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I gave up on fold and stuff pretty quickly for the same reason. May try again since it's been awhile. I rub out flakes mostly.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I use fold and stuff on Orlik Golden, FVF, Macbaren Latakia Flake,etc. but rub out Escudo and some others. My fold and stuff uses a twist on the second fold and I've found that works gloriously, breaking up the flake just enough to ignite.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
I almost think I should start buying ready rubbed when available, because that's all I ever do. Couldn't get the fold and stuff down myself.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
So many things play in to fold and stuff! Size of bowl, dryness of flake, how much compression or how little. I generally have good luck with it(Generally LOL). Gut determination BROTHER... :wink:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I don't have much luck with the fold and stuff method either. I usually rub it out but have taken to cube cutting the flakes lately and have had pretty good success with this method. I do notice a bit more (better?) flavour when using the cube cut method. :puffy:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I use a trick I learned from DubInTheDam's YouTube channel. He folds it then he breaks up the bottom a bit with his other had and loosens it up before packing it. That way it has more airflow and will stay lit better. That method has worked like a charm for me.
Never tried cube cutting. Far too much work for me.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Agree cube cutting does seem like a lot of work.
but question I have is does fold and stuff highten the flavor that much that I should keep messing with it?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
does fold and stuff highten (sic) the flavor that much that I should keep messing with it?
Per Jensen of Mac Baren says that folding and stuffing produces better flavor. I believe that Russ Ouellette asserts rubbing out a flake will produce better flavor because of the additional air involved in the burn.
So, even the experts can disagree. We'll all just have to try it both ways and make a personal decision.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
You know when experts disagree generally means there is a middle ground of sorts and they just refuse to admit they might be wrong. Good this is this answers my question. Tha ks.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I usually just stuff the flake in the pipe lengthwise and compress. I'll sometimes use the pick from a pipe tool and poke several air holes, top to bottom, if the draw is a bit tight. If the baccy it too moist, nothing will work except relighting. My 2 cents. Pax

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I pretty much do the same as Pax but I don't really compress at all if there is tobacco sticking out I either snip it off or char it down

I do 3 char light and tamp with matches to make a nice cookie. Then the 4th light I do with a Zippo them I'm off and smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.