Am I defective because I don't like sandblasted pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I can't get over the texture. It looks like testicles, or elephants, or the skin on your elbow. I like those nice smooth pipes with lots of woodgrain. Should I just commit myself, or what?

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Nah. I don't care much for them either. I see very few that I would buy and I see fewer that I would buy if I was willing to spend the audacious amount of money.
Will reply to your PM tonight. Running around the farm currently.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You can send any offending members of your collection to my address and I'll see that they are properly chastised. Then I'll smoke 'em.
Fortunate in that I like both smooth and blasted, straight and bent.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You're not defective at all. It's just a matter of preference. I collect blasts almost exclusively, but do have a couple of nicely grained smooths. The pipe speaks to the buyer, and if a blast doesn't scream, "BUY ME!", to you, it's just not your personal style. I like rugged, deep blasts just for how they feel. A smooth pipe really doesn't satisfy some sort of tactile need I have.

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
A skilled artisan can really bring out the beauty of a piece of briar, with varied sandblasting techniques.
Personally, I really like the coupling of a quality sandblast and a bamboo stem. Paired, they have a primitive look that usually appeal to me.
If a blast comes out looking like testicles, or the skin on an elbow, the carver could have probably achieved a better result using a different medium.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I like 'em all. Sandblast and rusticated, as well as smooth. I don't like partially carved, or rusticated pipes, because they just scream badly blemished bowl to me, but fully done, they appeal just as much as smooth.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I, too, was texturally challenged until I bought an Old Antiquari.
I deal with it much better now.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Bruce Weaver got me hooked on blasts.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/16141

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Couldn't say which I like best. I think it's the whole design and finish. But if blasts fail to please you, that sharpens your focus, and that can be good. I especially admire when a carver or factory manages to combine a smooth and rusticated or blast finish.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thanks prndl! Bruce does great work, and it's become an annual tradition of mine to commision "surprise" pipes from him on my birthday. :mrgreen:

Jun 4, 2014
It's okay if you don't like sandblasted pipes. It leaves more of them available for those of us who see the beauty in their texture.

pcr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2014
Taste is personal and subjective. I personally like them and find they smoke cool.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Blasting a suitable chunk of wood can really show off the growth rings. I think it's endlessly fascinating -- more so than even straight grain smooths, which lose some appeal when they darken or the finish gets dull and murky.
As one who struggles with arthritis, I have come to appreciate the added security in gripping rusticated and blasted bowls.
Does anyone here believe a textured bowl dissipates heat better than a smooth? It should, in theory, because of the greater surface area.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
No, everyone likes what they like lol! Back when I began this journey I did not like smooth pipes at all. I felt, at that time, they were too shiny and rather prissy looking. But I have always loved blast pipes even as a child. Something about the ruggedness and texture has always attracted me. Funny thing today I can appreciate and I even now own a few smooth pipes. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke!!
(Sweet pipes Chasingembers,very, very nice!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.