Alternative to Sam Gawith Luxury Navy Flake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm quite fond of SG LNF. As a matter of fact, it is always the first consumed when I get a new batch of blends. I don't like the price as much and was wondering if there were any comparable blends in this style? It costs twice as much as other bulk flakes.
SGLNF is a Virginia Flake, seasoned with a bit of Latakia (8% Lat, I believe) and splashed with rum. I like Latakia as a condiment, not the main course. The ingredients say that rum is used but I can't detect the flavor, even in background. This blend just works for me.
Any suggestions on other blends similar in style ? Even better if bulk prices were more economical.
Thanks,
Pax

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
The only one that I can think of that would be close would be Pease's Sextant, but it differs in that, in addition to the Virginia Latakia Rum trio, dark fired Kentucky and Orientals are included. I have not tried Sextant yet, so I can give no details on flavor. Also Sextant would be MORE expensive.
That's about all I know of. The Navy flake+Latakia market is very small. I guess you might could save getting some Lancer's Slices and adding a little Pusser's Navy Rum yourself, but really by then I would say you are money ahead order the 8oz Gawith box of Navy for $30. If it clicks that well, focus on it and thin down extraneous tobaccos on your TAD. $3.75 an ounce isn't horrible.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thanks Lochinvar:
I'm interested in trying similar blends, even if cost is higher, so thanks for the leads.
Lancer's slices led me to Bengals slices, which is no longer blended. Also led to Penzance, which is apparently very tough to find.
I have Sextant and remember it as a pleasant blend. Will check to see if I have any left.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
brass - to me, SG's Navy Flake is in a different realm than Lancer's - it has a much lower dose of Latakia. Lochinvar's point about the relative (un)popularity of flakes with only small amounts of Lat is well taken. I have a big bunch of flaky Latbombs, but the ones with subtler amounts of Lat are few: McClelland's Anniversary (broken flake), their bulk 2020, Peretti's Cambridge Flake and Bjarne's The Special One (with Syrian, but long out of production) come to mind. Hermit's Captain Earle's Diamondhead has a lighter application of Lat in a lineup of mostly Latbombs, but it is more of a crumble cake, as opposed to true flakes that have whole leaf in the layup. I'm still thinking about their new Reflections.
hp

les

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For an elegant blend with Latakia, but not Lat forward, try Nat Sherman 536.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hi Les and MSO:
Lest, I guessed that you were a fly fisherman from your handle. I've found that tying flys and smoking cobs are superbly complimentary. I've also learned not to take my pipes on the water. Lost two this past season.
Thanks for the tips guys. I've put them all on my wish list and hope to live long enough to try them all (over 50 flakes, cakes and coins and counting).
I've just finished a tin of SG Balkan Flake. More Lat Forward than Navy Flake but still good. Also, working my way through C&D Pirate Krumble Kake. This blend has convinced me that I'm not a lover of Lat bombs. It is smokable, but just barely for my tastes.
It may be that SG Navy Flake will be THE Condiment Lat Flake for me.
I came up with the following list from tobaccoreviews.com, which includes all those recommended here. While db searches are terrific, they can't replace personal exchanges, such as we have here. But still, the results are interesting. As everyone has mentioned, there are very few VA/LAT flakes.
Blend Reviews Avg Rating Blend Type Cut

Brebbia - Latakia Flake (Mixture No. 9) 11 ★★★☆ 3.1 Virginia/Latakia Flake

Charles Fairmorn - Lancer's Slices 69 ★★★★ 3.7 Virginia/Latakia Broken Flake

Dunhill - My Mixture No.620 0 0.0 Virginia/Latakia Flake

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Balkan Flake 4 ★★★★ 2.8 Virginia/Latakia Flake

Hermit - Reflections (Captain Earle's) 0 0.0 Virginia/Latakia Krumble Kake

Mac Baren - Latakia Blend 63 ★★☆☆ 2.5 Virginia/Latakia Curly Cut

Samuel Gawith - Balkan Plug 2 ★★★★ 3.5 Virginia/Latakia Plug

Samuel Gawith - Commonwealth Mixture 146 ★★★☆ 3.2 Virginia/Latakia Broken Flake

Samuel Gawith - Navy Flake 98 ★★★★ 3.2 Virginia/Latakia Flake

Samuel Gawith - Virginia Latakia Flake 1 ★★★☆ 3.0 Virginia/Latakia Flake

Status