PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another personal Navy history trip, but I'll make it brief. All of my former Navy duty stations are defunct. The San Diego Navy boot camp was closed long ago. I think they still operate some of the A Schools (tech schools in specific job skills) but my radioman rating is long discontinued, for something more computer/communications oriented. My ship (USS Galland, MSO 489) was sold to the Taiwan navy and renamed in the 1990's. The home port of Long Beach Ca. has been re-purposed as a major commercial port for ships from Asia. Midway Island Naval Station was closed and reverted to the Department of Interior as a wildlife refuge. My last duty station in downtown Milwaukee I haven't checked on; it was in a beautiful old office building blocks from the Lake Michigan shore; that was recruiting where I did p.r. for about eight months. Mostly, the places where I served have long gone to other uses. I don't think Midway Island is even accessible. For a while they had rental rooms in the old bachelor officer quarters for eco-tourists, and also cruise ship stop-overs where people would take a whaleboat from the anchored ship to the islands, but I think that's suspended. The airstrip is still there for emergency landings, but I'm not sure how well maintained.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
death', maybe something like that. I suspect a whole different array of geographical points might be chosen, for various reasons, but Long Beach, Ca., and Midway might certainly come into play, rebuilt for the purpose from the ground up. I Googled and now believe that the Navy recruiting station is in the same old place, with a few suburban satellites west of Milwaukee; that's an especially nice office building, so I'm glad the Nav' has kept their lease. 'Might be some old Navy vet in ownership. My ship was the USS Gallant ... I must be distracted. I'm surprised they closed San Diego boot camp and now do all boot training at Great Lakes north of Chicago. I'd advise recruits not to sign up for winter boot camp, having grown up in the Chicago area. I've never decided if I'd have joined if it hadn't been the era of the draft. My family had a history of Navy service. It was a little like spending four years living with the Sioux; most especially back then, it was a totally different world from civilian life, far more so even than now. It took me a few years to accustom to owning a car (I'd leave my new VW bug parked) or living in a residence with a kitchen, like I'd grown up in a different country.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
What would be a bigger shame is if someone didn't photograph those installations at their peak.

There was a window of time when things changed over that few people cared to capture "the time." Now, I think people are doing a little better in that way. Thank you for sharing, MSO.

Off topic, but on a similar note, I took some photos of the remnants of an 1800's Chinatown in Virginia City. I actually thought they might preserve it. Nope, neighborhood now, but at least I have an image.
CHNATNVC.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My boot camp was shut down and consolidated with the one at Cape May, NJ. My first unit, an icebreaker, was decommissioned in 1975 and sold for scrap. It was 40 years old at the time. Spent 9 months at a LORAN station that was decommissioned a year later. Towards the end of my career I spent 3 years on Governors Island in New York Harbor before the Coast Guard was ordered to shut it down and give it to New York City. At the time some big developers were planning to tear everything down and build hotels. Then the found out half the buildings - including a fort and castle - were historical landmarks and they couldn't touch them.
Interesting thing though, the Coast Guard was ordered to shut down all LORAN (Long Range Aids to Navigation) stations because of GPS usage. Now there is a bill in Congress mandating the Coast Guard reinstitute its LORAN system because GPS is too easy to hack.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pappymac, 'love the reversal on LORAN. They might start teaching Morse Code to communications techs again, who knows. I was sent to a "C" school for Morse Code after other radioman training. I had no gift. Some guys hear it fluently as the spoken word. I worked so diligently despite my lack of talent, I may have been graduated as a social promotion. Never used it in the fleet although my head radioman was qualified on a speed key which was kept available. He was one of those anointed with talent.
For those not familiar with radio, Morse code requires nothing more than a clear tone. Voice communications requires signal modulation and more circuitry in the old school gear. So Morse code was an emergency back-up when gear was minimal.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Why I clicked onto this thread, I have no idea, but I'm glad that I did. I never was in the service, but often imagine how my life would have changed if I enlisted into the Navy, as I had planned to do when I graduated from high school back in 1968. I was too near sighted. Also too near-sighted to become a NYC Cop or, NYC Fireman, like my dad. Civil Service jobs, back then, still had very strict standards and stringent physical requirements. Now, that's gone, like most things.
Interesting to read over all the reminiscences of some of the forum members, and of those days that are now gone. Funny, If you are lucky to live long enough, one eventually sees all the old familiar things of their youth give way to the newer generations.
Time devours all things.... Thanks for the interesting stories.
Frank

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Say what you will about it, good or bad, but the Cold War was an integral component to our post-WWII prosperity. A simplistic view is that the Baby Boom led to all that prosperity; a more analytical view shows that something more than a huge population spike had to support that prosperity (just ask Bangladesh). The days when the Pentagon ordered new ships and planes because their old ones weren't shiny anymore sure helped keep the currency circulating!

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
When were you on Midway and did you ever helo over to Kure Island?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I suspect a whole different array of geographical points might be chosen, for various reasons, but Long Beach, Ca., and Midway might certainly come into play, rebuilt for the purpose from the ground up.
I think you're quite right. Amplifying aldecaker's point:
Say what you will about it, good or bad, but the Cold War was an integral component to our post-WWII prosperity.
That and the fact that Europe was devastated. I'm no Keynesian, but military spending produced some good things, including this here internet that we're using now.
The main thing is that when the Soviets fell almost thirty years ago now, we stopped trying to maintain world influence, and focused on more specific hot spots... that is changing, with the rise of BRICs and other powers.
The real question is how long the fragile world economies and local tensions will give us before things cut loose.
We live in exciting times!
I can't imagine coming from the military to the civilian world. It is like transitioning worlds... then again, I barely can exist in the civilian world as it is.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I been to France

I been to Spain

I helped to topple

Saddam Hussein

But I won't be happy

And I won't be free

Till I #$%& the Army

Like the Army #$%&'ed me...
Arrghh... Just off work. Had my shower and pipe, on my 2nd Cut Throat Porter.
I don't really feel that way, like I used to. It's just a fun thing to throw out there.
US Army Infantry, '86-'93. Going for that 3rd porter now.
I do miss that life, some times, but not often... :nana:
It was what I needed at age 17, with no real direction, purpose or motivation.
Now, at least I have direction.... :mrgreen:
BTW, D&R Cockstrong goes well with the porter.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
kanala, YES! I never did catch the helicopter to Kure Island, but I was with the group that operated the radio and TV stations, though I was doing a little "newspaper," a lithographed sheet about sea/air rescues, little league games (dependents were on the island), other sports leagues, and a smattering of news from the world, though mostly that was relayed to us by armed forces TV and radio. But the guys on Kure were always in mind, and guys liked to trek out there if they could wangle a ride. Comparatively, we were the big city. We had a few restaurants and two bars, a mini-bowling alley, a post exchange, an old hangar that served as a gym, a water front with sailboats and a beach, etc. For the size, it was pleasant. There were maybe a thousand people. Kure had (as I recall) about fifty, if that. So I never visited Kure, but we sure thought of it and as I recall, we'd take radio music requests via radio com. Even on Midway, peoples' morale and wellbeing were of concern, and more so for Kure where the isolation was more significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.