PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I know I have been making a lot of threads lately. I'm sorry. I have no social life and I have a lot of questions. Well, for the last 2 weeks I have been into flake, cake, and plug tobacco. I'm now to the point where they are all I want to smoke. I packed a bowl of a good ole favorite and barely got past the true light before I put it down and started cubing up some Nave Flake. I know that a part of it is the ritualistic process there is to preparing it to smoke, but the flavor is just so much better IMO. Has anyone else went through this?

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Man, I was huge into English when I started back on the pipe in June. Here for the last month, all I have been craving is some delicious VA flake. I'd say I smoke it 80 to 90 percent of the time now.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
I find i fluctuate between different styles. I have my daily 1792 that i smoke most of the time but i find here and there i end up craving something different.

Sometimes it is an aromatic like Peterson Summertime or Special Reserve other times i find i am in the mood for something a little meaty like SM Black XX. I guess it is just a matter of mood plus new vs old.

Little like food, i will find something new and i will have it more often for a while then move back onto other things i like.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I was exclusively English/Balkan till two weeks ago when I pulled out the Dark twist that burnt me so bad at first. Then I smoked all of it and bought some Night Train and got a Sample of Kendal Plug and smoked those. Then Mrenglish giften me all those aged tins and half were flake and plug. The MacBaren Old Dark Fired is my go to smoke now and there is some MacBaren Navy Flake from 2004 that's to die for. There are 3 others that I like too. But I an stuck on the deep, earthy flavor that constantly changes while you smoke the bowl. MMMMMMM Great stuff. The Petersons 3P is amazing too. I like the heat treated better than the regular plugs too. I'm only buying flake when I start buying tobacco again after Christmas.

ovidsmuse

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
I hear you on the flake, once I tamed the MacB Navy Flake every time an opportunity arose for a long smoke nothing else would do.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Yes, I know just what you're going through. I wanted to quit my job and only smoke flake tobacco. I decided to keep my job but I still love flake. I think an appreciation of flake tobacco is just like the act of flake smoking: It's a slow catch but once the fire grabs hold, it doesn't go out. Also, like so many other aspects of pipe smoking, I feel like it has a strong connection to years gone. I'm getting all purple about it but I don't mind. Flakes are wonderful.

robert76

Lurker
Sep 10, 2011
That's the great thing about cellaring tobacco. Tastes change over time. The things you don't want right now may be all you want to smoke next year. Stock'um away and smoke'um all!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I hear you, Shawn. I smoke my VA and VA/Per almost exclusively in flake format; haven't tried the plugs due to cost. None of my beloved Englishes come in flake form, other than SG Balkan Flake and Fairmorn Lancer's Slices ... others I haven;t tried or can't smoke. You should try the "fluff-n-stuff" method for flakes ....

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Reichenbach, well said. Since I started smoking a pipe I've learned to slow down and enjoy things. My grandpa always hated "pipe suckers". Said that pipe smokers are slow and never in a hurry to do anything. Guess he just didn't get it.
I just started smoking Robert, but I can see what you mean. I haven't touched an English in 9 days. Wouldn't touch anything but 2 weeks ago. Here is the other big change. I like flake in my small bowls where I wanted Englishes in the biggest bowl I could find. Strange how taste changes.

robert76

Lurker
Sep 10, 2011
You pull out a cigarette or take a dip of snuff all you have is a nic hit. Smoking a pipe comes in so many variations with blends and bowls that it's almost impossible to get bored.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Yea. I used a can of Copenhagen for 24 years. I got a divorce when I was 34 and started smoking cigs lightly to curb the nicotine withdrawal, but I hated cigs plus I never wanted my kids to see me smoke them. One day I decided to smoke a pipe. That was the first week of July and I have been obsessed with it since. I like nasal snuff too. Its a nicotine thing, but I enjoy the many flavors of it too.

robert76

Lurker
Sep 10, 2011
I dipped Copenhagen for over 20 years as well. If you want to reminisce try Peterson Irish Flake.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
"I used a can of Copenhagen for 24 years"
Wow! Way to ration that sucker!!!! :rofl:

subtech77

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2012
I agree with you on the flakes. I have almost only smoked flakes in my "career". Just the feeling of it, and the slowburning. To sit 90 minutes with a pipe is great.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I like flake in my small bowls where I wanted Englishes in the biggest bowl I could find. Strange how taste changes.
This is where the type of blend affects the type of pipe you smoke it in. Many pipe smokers feel that English and aromatic blends are at their best in pipes with large tobacco chambers, to let the flavors blend better. Conversely,many folks feel that Virginia blends are at their best in smaller pipes.

johnny

Lurker
Sep 30, 2010
Like others have said, your tastes will change over time so keep your loose cut blends around. You will smoke them again. I'm a big fan of flakes, plugs and ropes as well. IMO, the best come from Gawith & Hoggarth. They make some great blends, I like the scented and unscented stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.