Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
I was visiting with Brian McNulty of Anima Pipes and he showed me this collection of all Bamboo pipes he was working on. I had to have one to try out. Very long, cool and dry smoke. Just wanted to share this great new pipe. Brian McNulty is a spectacular artist!

bamboo1_zps614cb695.jpg

bamboo2_zps13322d9d.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
That's really neat looking. Is it meerschaum lined? I'd be worried about burning it out if it isn't. How does it smoke?
-- Pat

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
That bowl shape is incredibly interesting. I too am wondering if it gets hot, and if it is lined with meerschaum.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
it is not lined…it smokes like a cob. I am breaking it in slow but it never got hot. I went to Brian's shop for some repairs and he was smoking an all bamboo pipe he had made. This particular one is the bamboo root so it has the natural design which i loved. So far it has been a great smoker with no sign of burn out.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Interesting, to say the least. I would certainy be willing to try one just for fun. Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, but the pipe, as nice looking as it is, seems to lack the inviting warmth of briar.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'm with ejames I love the look, and could too right away it was from the top of the root system; all those little circles are com the suckers coming off the main trunk. Very cool. Keep us posted with how it breaks in!
-- Pat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If bamboo stands the test of time for durability, it's a winner. The bamboo root bowl really has

a botanical organic look -- which stands to reason. Bamboo has a tremendous rate of growth,

so the supply should be sustainable. Today at the TAPS pipe show I bought my third Mountain

Laurel pipe (from Jerry Perry, a carver in Colfax NC). It's one of the woods that is comparable to the

briar we all know and love. I think alternative woods are good. None of them make me revere the

briar less, but it is good to know other woods can do the job. Mountain Laurel is durable and

quite pleasing to look at as well. Plus it has a special connection to this part of the country,

the western part of this state.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
How does the maker cure the bamboo and for how long?

I have a friend who has made lots of bamboo items and told me of some imported species of bamboo he had. He has some old pieces which would be cured and they are quite large. Like at least 2 inches diameter. Id be interested in making myself one of these.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
One of the first pipes I made is this bamboo one, here on the stand I assembled from the same reed I was cutting in a field some years before.
YhftOqz.jpg

The trick here is that I put a briar chamber inside. I could not imagine it was possible burning tobacco directly inside a bamboo bowl.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
The first time I saw an all bamboo pipe was on one of the forums in China. The pioe maker(I dont know his name) only makes bamboo pipes. No briar, no meer, no nothing. I was pretty neat to see, but I thought they were designed for smoke RYO style tobacco.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
This is a really cool idea. I don't doubt that a bamboo pipe needs no lining; bamboo is an incredibly strong and eminently renewable material. One that, if we were intelligent, we would make wider use of.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Crashthegrey, I reached out to Brian. I will PM you soon. I still enjoy this pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like, if you develop the carbon coating, a bamboo bowl would last. Anyone have a bamboo pipe that has gone for some years? The pipe in the original post is gorgeous. A year after my earlier post on this, I bought a pipe with a bamboo shank from Bob Hayes, an award-winning carver who gave me an incredible price I couldn't turn down. Great pipe, but a briar bowl of course, a straight Dublin.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Mso489…The pipe has been going strong for 2 years now, no issues. It is not an everyday smoker but it has gotten good use. This particular pipe was made of the Bamboo Root and it really is a beauty. Here it is today:

IMG_2089_zpsm5eocr6h.jpg

IMG_2091_zpsdd2j66ni.jpg

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
dixie, thank you for the message, and also for the updated pictures. It is great to see it hold up so well. Brian was a pleasure to email with, and I think that I'll be acquiring one eventually. It's too interesting to let it go without knowing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.