PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
First off let me say, sorry I don't have any pics as of yet.

I just put an older Aldo Velani "Suprema" on layaway at my local B&M. I've never heard of them, but it looks to be well made with no fills, and good drilling. Have any of you guys had any experience with these pipes, or any info on them? Anything is appreciated!

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
The following is available on Pipedaia.com (A great source for info on makers.)
Aldo Velani
Most Aldo Velani pipes are made in Livorno, Italy, for the USA market by Cesare Barontini. They were previously imported by Lane Limited. Lane spokesman Frank Blews once described Velani's stylish, intrinsically Italian designs as "Billiards with more ball, bulldogs with more jaw." The name "Aldo Velani" is actually fictional.
Another Barontini 2nd is named "Cesare".

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have a tulip sitter by Aldo Velani. I have to say, it is not my prettiest pipe, or most comfortable. But damn does she ever smoke amazingly!!! It was one of my first pipes, it was under $100, so it is a win on all levels in my books.
Only complaint, it had a lacquer finish that started to peel early on. To this day I'm not sure if it was due to me smoking to hot, I was learning, or just a bad finish. In the end, the lack of lacqure has allowed the pipe to colour in naturally, so I am really pleased with what happened.
I think you'll be thrilled with your new purchase.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have one AV Corona. It's a nice pipe and I'd liken it to my Savinelli Bruna. I think you'll be pleased with it if it's anything like mine. Enjoy.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I have two (one which I haven't smoked yet) and I love it. It's even got that lacquer finish, but smokes dry and doesn't get hot at all. I always keep my eye out for them on ebay, but they've been creeping up in price IMO.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have a "21st Century" and it is one of my favorite pipes. It is a great smoker and looks good too. I've bought these for new smokers and have gotten nothing but good reviews.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I bought several Aldo's in the early 90's when I started smoking a pipe. At that time they had a deal on them I believe through a pipe store in Montreal. They were pretty pipes and highly laquered with lucite bits. I believe the deal at the time was around $30.00 per pipe. I remember ordering four. Two from one style line and two from the other. I haven't a clue what happened to the other three I probably just don't remember selling them off at a pipe club meeting. The one that I have left is a nice looking pipe with an odd grain but feels great in the hand. As I recall the other darker one would be a style I would like now but cannot remember what happened to it. I have moved so many times it may have gotten lost. At any rate for what I paid they were ok smokers and a good way to add to your rotation.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
I have seen the Caprice line for around $70.00 US on the estate market. Better than my RRSP return in the last 20 years.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Sounds like a good deal. Enjoy, I just wish I could remember what the heck happened to all my others. Getting old sucks! LOL

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I have 5 Velanis that range from a Canadian to a bent pot to bent Dublins. They are all great smokers. At their prices they offer very good bang for your buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.