PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
I see a lot of people suggesting that they clean with alcohol. I have a few questions:
1) What type of alcohol?

2) Do you do this instead of Pipe Sweetener and or addition

3) If I only smoke a given pipe twice a week, how often is this suggested

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I just started using Everclear. Its an all grain alcohol. Most people suggested it. But you can use Bacardi 151. The higher the proof the better. As far as how often; that's personal preference. Some will dip a pipe cleaner in the alcohol and run it through the pipe after every smoke. Some will do this weekly and some will only when the pipe tastes sour.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
1) What type of alcohol?
It seems the majority of folks use food grade alcohol with a fairly high alcohol content like Everclear. For folks that don't have access to Everclear, Bacardi 151 is the next best thing as far as alcohol content. Some will use other spirits like rum or whiskey but be aware that they can impart some flavor. Some use rubbing alcohol. Whether that is a safe practice is debated occasionally. I, personally, use Everclear.
2) Do you do this instead of Pipe Sweetener and or addition?
I don't use pipe sweetener so will defer to those more experienced with it.
3) If I only smoke a given pipe twice a week, how often is this suggested?
The answer will depend on what you smoke, how you treat your pipes before and after smokes, and how clean you are willing and like to keep your pipes. Some tobaccos leave more byproducts that can clog up your pipe than others. I have found that blends high in latakia do this for me. My pipes dedicated to latakia blends need cleaned more frequently than my Virginia pipes for example. Running a pipe cleaner through your pipe after each smoke and allowing it to dry thoroughly can prolong the need for a deep cleaning. Some guys like their pipes immaculately clean and clean their pipes with alcohol after every smoke. Others prefer to smoke a grungy pipe and never clean them until something goes wrong like a clogged airway. Then there are others that fall somewhere in between. Bottom line is that you'll have to find out what works best for you. Some guys love the ritual of cleaning their pipes and do it often. Any activity that allows them to tinker with their pipes brings them joy. Some prefer the flavor of a clean pipe. Others view their pipes as strictly utilitarian tools and are fine throwing them in the dashboard of their car when they aren't using them. Some (like me) like the flavors of a uncleaned (I call it seasoned :lol:) pipe. For that reason, I don't clean my pipes with alcohol unless they really need it. I keep the tobacco chamber reamed and will use alcohol in the airway if it seems to be getting restricted. I primarily smoke Va's and have found the residue buildup is slower than other tobaccos. But that's just me and I'm likely in the minority. YMMV.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I use 99% isopropyl alcohol.
I don't use sweeteners.
I only do a salt and alcohol treatment or a retort when refurbing estate pipes, or when I have a particularly nasty ghost in a pipe, and want to smoke a new/different tobacco in it.
-- Pat

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Thank you folks for sharing your thoughts. Sounds like a few differing opinions. However, I now have a follow up question:
Is the use of Rubbing alcohol, Everclear or Bacardi used in both the bowl and stem?
Pat - what do you do with salts??

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
So never having heard of Everclear, I googled. here is what The Urban Dictionary says - thought it was funny.
A clear liquid with the following properties:
1) 95% alcohol (190 proof). This means

1 shot everclear = about 2 1/2 shots of most other hard liquors

2) Very flammable

3) Has a warning on the bottle that you should NOT drink it straight

4) Nobody really follows the above warning

5) When poured into a shot and consumed, will burn your throat like battery acid would

6) Mixes very well with juice, creating a potent potable called "jungle juice"

7) Most people generally underestimate its power and drink way too much, resulting in regurgitation of dinner and possible stomach-pumping

8) Is not legal in many states, or in some states only in it's 76.5% (153 proof) form

9) Generally about $15 a fifth, but think how much alcohol you're getting...

10) Everclear will not get that girl drunk to the point where you can hit it. It will get her drunk to the point where she'll puke like there's no tomorrow and probably pass out. Stick with regular liquor in this endeavor.
1 shot and you'll feel like you've been stabbed in the throat.

2 shots is the most you should ever give a girl that you have the intention of hooking up with in the next few hours.

3 shots will probably make you puke like never before if you're some dumb 14 year raiding your alcoholic dad's liquor cabinet.

4 shots will send you to the ER if you're the above person.

5 shots will probably kill the same dumb kid.

6 shots will get a 200 lb. guy pretty wasted.

7 shots will make him puke.

8 shots is my personal record. It resulted in serious loss of dinner and a very bad night and morning.
If you can break double digits, I'll either be really impressed or sending my regards to your family for the tragic loss.

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
I use 99% isopropyl. Booze is too expensive in Canada to go anywhere other than in my belly!

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
In my personal and not quite so humble opinion, :D ... if you're running dry pipe cleaners through these pipes shortly following their two weekly smokes, an alcohol based cleaning should only be required every few months or more. It would also depend on how much moisture is generated in the pipes you speak of. In short, you should do what makes you happiest. Whether or not it pleases you to treat your pipes as precious gold, or to treat them as tools, is up to you.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Harold, high proof alcohols can be used inside the bowl and shank for cleaning. It can be used both inside and outside the stem.
It should not be used on any external surface of the wood...it will remove the stain.
Chris

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Also, I don't see it mentioned, that he reason one uses such potent alcohol is because the water content is so low......if the briar absorbs water it can be damaged. I have a friend who damaged a pipe with 50% isopropyl. So it has low h2o, and evaporates quickly.
As to the salt treatment: Essentially you remove the pipe's stem, and plug the shank with cotton, a q-tip, paper towel, etc- then fill the bowl with a "rough" salt- sea salt or rock salt. Then the salt is saturated with high proof alcohol such as evercleer or 90+% isopropyl- and this is allowed to soak for several hours. The idea is that it leaches out nasty ghostings and flavors from the bowl. After several hours the salt will be brown and nasty- dump it out, clean it up with some pipe cleaners and there you have it.
Care must be taken not to spill the alcohol on the outside of the bowl. Most people use a syringe to apply alcohol to the salt.
Chris

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey Haroldt,
As to salts... exactly what Tarak said. It should be noted that some pipes need multiple salt and alcohol treatments to leech the nastiness out of a pipe. I always let my bowls with salt and alcohol sit for at least 24 hours to make sure that the alcohol has completely evaporated before dumping the salt and using a paper towel to do a quick bowl ream. Generally, as a last step, I use fresh alcohol on a pipe cleaner and quickly line the inside of the bowl that torch it to do a finish clean on the inside of the bowl/shank.
-- Pat

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
WOW!! Who figures out all this crap??? No wonder I had such a hard time in my previous pipe life.

Thanks fellows.
My two pipes are less then two weeks old "to me." I bought them as estate pipes on ebay, and for what I know, they seem to be in good shape. I must say that I feel I'm getting better at smoking them and with all the info here and on youtube, I'm actually getting to the bottom of the bowl. So either beginners luck, or I'm getting the hang of it.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Good on ya haroldt! Keep it up and you'll be a master of the bowl in no time.
I also came back into the hobby via the purchase of estate pipes on ebay.
Welcome back, and have fun.
-- Pat

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
Yes - water messed up my new pipe so now will send it along with some oldies to walker briar works - no one in canada with this mans process.
Deniclean & some booze left flavor in my pipe so ran the whole thing under luke warm water - got out the unwanted flavor but got rid of the briar qualities that give the flavor from the tobacco - became hot & tasteless.

Dont do this at home kids - as the man says

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I usually use isopropyl alcohol (92%) and Kosher salt. Works great. I salt threat the stem/shank as well as the bowl. Make sure to wait 24 hours as it makes cleanup a breeze...just dump the salt out, run some pipe cleaners soaked in 151 rum through the pipe and done. The most I've ever had to repeat this treatment was three times. Always wait another day after the treatment before smoking the pipe, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.