PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
I want to do my first alcohol cleaning. After researching i know that eveclear is the prefered booze to use. i watched a=the dubinthedam cleaning videos on youtube and he uses 100 proof rum (above or below) and recomends whiskey, rum ect with a high proof. looking in my liquor cabinet right now i only have a bottle of french cognac open that im willing to use (the good stuff is all unopened and saving to drink). is it ok to use an 80 proof cognac?
i will go buy some stronger stuff like everclear or a strong rum or whiskey later (or if you all tell me not to use the cognac).

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I could be wrong....but I think your pipe will love you for using cognac....I personally use 155proof rum since I believe it evaporates faster. If the cognac leaves a bit of "aftertaste" you will only be the richer for it.... :lol:

directshot

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2010
Over the years I've used Bacardi 151 primarily due to the fact that it's what I drink so why not give it a double purpose and clean the pipes too. Note that it also leaves no residue or smell in the pipes after drying. Drink, smoke, drink, smoke, drink, smoke, I led a simple but good life.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I used Jack Daniels up until just a few days ago when I was finally able to obtain some Everclear. Twas 80 proof, and worked fairly well...and gave a nice little aftertaste for the next smoke!

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
If you want to clean your own pipes, the cognac will do the job. It will take a few days to dry though. If however, you are cleaning estate pipes, use something above 150 proof to make sure you are killing any germs. Rubbing alcohol will do the job if it is 90% or more and unsented.

ulsterpaddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2010
Thanks guys. smells great already. i've had a bit of a break from the pipe due to the last bitter experiance. hopes this cures it and i can get off the cigs again.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
That's the thing about Everclear. It's 95% alcohol, leaves no after taste

or residue and, because it's anhydrous, pulls moisture out of the Block.

Some prefer the taste of different beverage(s) in their Pipes, while others

like me don't. It's the alcohol that's the cleaning agent and at 95%

Everclear is pulling moisture out of the air when the cap is off the bottle.

Other beverage(s) will also work, but like Chuck says, it will take a few days to dry.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
...and this reminds me it is time to start salt/alcoholing my pipes again - it's been a month or so since last cleaning rotation.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have always used Ezra Brooks... I love the taste it leaves in the bowl.

Just fire up a bowl of 1Q and I'm in heaven... It only lasts one or two bowls.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
It will work just fine but let me comment on other postings i have learned in my 40 years of pipe smoking. Do NOT use rubbing alcohol when cleaning your pipes. I t contains toxins that will seep into your pipe! It is not for oral consumption of any kind. Also, I have retored pipes for years for resale and I find that salt can and will crack your bowls. Not all the time but do it enough and you will crack one. Instead use cotton balls, they work just as well but will not harm your bowl.

twss

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2011
Austin, Tx
That's some great info. I used scotch the other day (because thats what I drink) and I thought it did a great job.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I must also advise the use of cotton balls... but being the good conservationist I am.

I try not to use them too often... after-all I don't want to put Teddy Bears on the endangered species list. :D

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Well, I think salt makes the bowl smell cleaner. Just make sure to use non-iodised salt (I use sea salt).

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I too use salt but I use the larger grained Kosher salt. It is much easier to get out of the pipe even if some gets into the smoke channel. I haven't been cleaning estate pipes as long as Earl has, only about ten years, but I have yet to crack a shank or bowl.
By the way Earl, have you smoked those Willmers yet and what do you think of them?

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I've only used Everclear because it was recommended more than anything else. Also, I love how clean and pure my tobaccos taste after my pipes have been filled with the spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.