PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I saw a posting that claimed that Einstein smoked a pipe tobacco called Revelation, can anyone verify that?
RevelationTobacco.png

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I found this post about it, but cannot verify it.
"Most sources say that he smoked House of Windsor - Revelation exclusively, However, in a few articles it was mentioned that he on occasion smoked HOW - Country Doctor and Middleton - Walnut, but by far his tobacco of choice was Revelation."

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I found out with Googles help that you can still buy it several places..pipesandcigars.com and at:
WV Smoke Shop http://www.wvsmokeshop.com/browseproducts/Revelation-Pipe-Tobacco.html in a 10 oz tin for 18.99
I'm reading a book about his personal life called: The Private Albert Einstein by Peter Bucky who was a close friend and often went on vacation with him. Bucky's Dad was a close buddy of Einsteins and they collaborated on camera patents, and x-ray machines. The two families knew each other in Europe and then in America.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
[Greetings,
First time using PhotoBucket, so cross your fingers.
Here's a photo of Einstein and, yep, looks like Revelation to me.
einsteinandrevelation.jpg

CACooper
Edit: Pstlpkr: Just copy an paste the "img" code from Photobucket and it will work.

Not bad first attempt. :)

beaupipe

Lurker
May 26, 2009
I think that if Einstein was smoking Revelation, then it was the original Philip Morris version, not the HOW version, which arrived on the scene after he had already passed on.
Revelation from either HOW or Philip Morris is pretty much unobtainable these days. But there are several tobaccos that have been made in homage to Revelation. The best is probably Epiphany from C&D.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I just finished reading my 3rd book on Einstein( this one by Peter B Smith ) and found some neat quotes/stories from him:
Einstein would always have either a pipe or cigar between his lips: "He was addicted to cigars", says noe biographer, 'the longest, fattest, blackest ones he could find. He smoked one after the other so that, even as a young man, his teeth were stained brown and his throat was raw. His voice became weaker, but still he did not stop smoking.'
and another one:
according to Maja, when her brother was smoking his pipe or cigar he 'loved to observe the smoke clouds' wonderful shapes, and to study the motions of the individual particles of smoke and the relationships among them'.
another:
Einstein's 50th birthday in 1929 brought congratulatory gifts from Presidents , Kings, but he was most impressed by the gift of a small pouch of pipe tobacco from an unemployed man. In a note the man made a witty allusion to both relativity nad field theory: 'There is relatively little tobacco, but it is from a good field.'

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
Einstein's tobacco? It's "Da Bomb"
Okay, I know he wasn't really responsible for developing that weapon but his theory of relativity....never mind.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I know he wasn't really responsible for developing that weapon but his theory of relativity
Yep, far from it, he was about as far removed from it as you and I was, after reading 4 books about him recently.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
Revelation has been discontinued for some time now so you would be hard pressed to find any unless it's vintage which I see now and then. C and D Epiphany is the closest thing to it. Wonder what he would smoke if he were alive today?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Earl, howdy, and accept my belated welcome to the site.

Thanks for the info on Epiphany. At $30/lb. it sounds like it would make a good smoke.

Have you tried it?

storm

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
I've been smoking C&D Epiphany lately and I quite like it. I don't have a lot to go by, as my experience is still limited , but I would describe it as a light airy blend, fairly dry and it put me in mind of a field of tall grass and wildflowers. It's meant for an open expanding universe. If we can use wine as an analogy, I'd say it was a very nice Chardonnay. Or if you prefer beer - a Belgian wheat.
Now... does anyone know what tobacco Edwin Hubble smoked? (Photos often show him smoking a pipe - a billiard, it appears.) I would love to know.
C&D Snug Harbor is quite different. Strong, kick you in the pants, moist and full of vitamin N. It's for exploring internal space - while sitting in front of a smoky pub fire while a storm rages outside. In wine, it's a full-bodied Burgundy. In beer terms - a triple bock.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
C@D Epiphany. A burley rich blend lacking in virgina and latakia the only saving grace is the Perique . The start of the bowl was pure burley . Midway it started to shine with a hint of latakia and even better dose of perique . The flavor then hung in there until all that remained was fine ash . The after tatse is one of Cabernet Sauvignon and perique . And there you have it , one mans opinion .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have heard a story that Einstein had run out of tobacco during a class he was teaching.

One of the students offered him a fill of a RYO brand and, Professor Einstein said something like: "We may have a discovery here." When he lit it up he was very disappointed and said something like:

"Well not all discoveries are relative."
If anyone knows this story please correct it.

I would love to know the truth of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.