PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucson

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2014
I am trying to decide between these three makes of pipes. The Meerschum has a little carved design and a long shank/stem. Should be a cool smoker. The Big Ben is a short pipe with a classic straight shank/stem. The Wiley is sculpted pipe with a very good grain pattern.
Which pipe to purchase?
The Meerschum will be my first of its type. But I understand this type of pipe is fragile. The Big Ben I would consider my "work horse" pipe that I will smoke most of the time. It also will fit in my pocket for travel. But the one I already have took two months to break in. The Wiley is simply a beautiful high quality pipe that I would only smoke at home. I already have a Big Ben that is different from this above mentioned one. And I do have a Wiley, which is my first quality pipe.
What do you guys think?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I'm curious as to why it's between these three only....also, pictures would help. There are many terrific pipes both new and estate out there, what is the amount of cash you plan to spend?

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If you are shopping at SP.com I would purchase pipe 004-009-6144 the Ruthenberg Lovat for $225.00. It's a handmade American pipe, that will last you, the rest of your life, if you take good care and it should smoke better than any of your other three choices.
Just my opinion.

tucson

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2014
That looks like an impressive pipe. Not exactly what I was looking for, but nice! I am seriously considering it now. This pipe reminds me of my father's pipe collection over 40 years ago. What other pipe makers would you recommend?

tucson

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2014
I purchased the Wiley, but I just may also purchase the Ruthenburg. This pipe smoking is turning out to be an expensive hobby. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.