PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Been using the air space packing method with some success. It seems to me that the heat follows the level of the burn which drops as the level drops. No big surprise, however, this tells me that the steam contributes very little to the heating of the bowl. In other words, almost all heating is from the burning ember and none or little from the steam. I would have guessed that the air pocket would be warmest as steam is such a great conductor of heat. Full packing, conversely, seems to warm the whole bowl uniformly.
Maybe I'm just smoking cool and dry? Any thoughts?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Could you please elaborate on the air space method? I have heard of it, but the extent of my awareness ends at knowing it exists.

Cool post.

Moisture prevent the heat from getting too hot, to some degree, I think this is why so many prefer more moisture in some blends. However, I find that sucking in hot dry smoke doesn't burn my tongue as much as steam. Steam just seems to make the acidic smoke more harsh on my tongue. As far as the temperature of the actual pipe, I could care less, as long as it doesn't burn. But, by smoking slower, the temperature doesn't get harsh, making the smoke and essential oils of the tobacco more tasty.
I've tried the air pocket method. We played around with these various packing methods at our pipe club, once or twice. But, my problem is that when I go to tamp, it all just falls to the bottom any ways. Maybe if I practiced, if I cared to. I just find the tried and true scoop method works for me. I've been smoking long enough that whole ritual of packing the pipe all day, day in and day out, it is just rote memory. Like putting on socks, I don't remember much about doing it, but I must have done it correctly, because it doesn't feel weird. :puffy:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Welcome to the forums bcharles123
Depending on the cut of the blend, I'll pinch a clump of ribbon equal to about half a bowls worth and stuff the clump into the chamber, This one clump sits up off the bottom of the chamber leaving a considerable air pocket under the clump. I just do it without thinking much about it and I haven't noticed any difference for better or worse: I simply do it for ease of loading a long ribbon cut. As the clump is larger than the diameter of the chamber, by the time the tightness of the pack is ideal the tobacco sits high up off the bottom of the chamber.
When it comes to loading the chamber with tobacco I rarely put much thought into it as it is something you just get a feel for. My chosen method at any given time depends on many factors, but as I say I do it without thinking about it.
Maybe I'm just smoking cool and dry? Any thoughts?
Sounds like you are getting the most out of your pipe: cool and dry, who could argue with that?

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Ive been dabbling with the frank method as I see it loose at the bottom and rammed on top and works like a charm

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Great post, with some interesting observations. You've given me something to think about as I experiment with the next few smokes I have. Thanks for the input, and welcome to the forums. Looking forward to many, many more posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.