[AhmadOthman] Cornell & Diehl Star of the East Review

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Ahmad Othman
  • Latest reply from Ahmad Othman
  1. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The blender lies a blatant lie with this one. The tin claims a half Latakia blend, which is for any Latakia fan like me is a dream. And sadly it isn't, so if that's your buying point, then stay away from this. However, this is not bad tobacco at all. On the contrary, I found it pleasurable from start to finish. When you first open the tin, you're welcomed by a lovely smell of Latakia and orientals. As if you walked into a place that sells incense. The cut is a thick ribbon and at the perfect moisture, at least in my case. It is quite easy to light and keep lit. I rarely had to relight this. It smokes consistently, dryly and burns down till the bottom. With your first few buffs you may find that it is not at all a heavy Latakia blend despite what C&D says. It has rich, dark virginia, complemented with spicy and woodsy orientals with an okay presence of Latakia. Definitely a complementary condiment rather than the star of the show as they claim. Nevertheless it's a pleasant blend that is enjoyable for any English lover. I found it to pair well with black coffee as well, and as for me its nicotine is mild to medium, but again this last part is subjective. I presume the flake will be better than this, and hopefully closer to their Latakia claim

Pipe Used: Peterson system ebony

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Purchased From: smokingpipes.com

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” - Albert Einstein
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Try Pirate Kake. It's 70% Latakia.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's on my list indeed.. Same for Ten Russians

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got a sample of this at the Chicago Pipe Show. I've tried it three or four times and this is this first English style blend I just don't like. I found it burned hot and harsh. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I'm not finishing this baggie of baccy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well. I think it's what you enjoy that matters. So if you're the only one that doesn't enjoy this. That's absolutely fine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

thefishguy

Login to Send PM

Give C&D's Davinci a try as well. It's a nice Latakia forward blend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I completely agree, Ahmed! I certainly didn't in any way intend to insult your taste. I've read lots of great reviews for this tobacco. It's just not for me. Glad you enjoy it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@thefishguy will do, I have a big wishlist, I'll make sure I add it
    @craiginthecorn I know, it's okay..tobacco tastes are different.. so never apologise for yours

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   warren, lestrout, didimauw, donjgiles, morgansteele, ashdigger, ray47, snagstangl, boffosquid, acidpox, jaytex969, geopiper, odobenus, oldgeezersmoker, pitchfork, ben88