PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of the sweetest shapes in the Sav lexicon to me is the yacht/zulu, sometimes second-guessed as a bent Dublin, shape 404, or when offered in the Rossi line, the 8404. It's a lithe, light weight for its bowl size, graceful curving medium sized pipe with ample bowl. I bought one of these unfinished and without a filter, out of a basket (I think) about 35 years ago, and I think it is one of the most graceful pipes I have. It is available in many Savinelli series and Rossi series as well, but I have always avoided doubling up on it, for fear I wouldn't smoke my original if I bought one or two more. Just a fine version of the yacht/zulu, to me the paradigm of the shape. Does anyone else have this fondness for this particular shape?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I do like the Zulu, though I only own one (a Grabow Grand Duke). The shape always takes my nostalgic mind back to the clay pipe days due to the stem curve.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have two other zulu, a Chacom with a small bowl, a nice blast finish and a faux horn band, and a plain smooth Chapuis-Comoy, both great pipes, but I like the Sav even better.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I have my eye on an Oscar Lucite 404... Those and the 320's are my favorite shapes from Sav/Rossi.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
dustmite, I have an Oscar Lucite prince and enjoy it a lot. The series has no filter, so no adaptor is needed, and I really like the finish, the lively color, and the light weight with ample bowl. I think the 404 would be every bit as satisfying, but with the really graceful shape besides.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Yeah, I'm saving my pennies for that one. The more I see it, the more I want it...

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
My Sav unfinished Zulu, just LOVE IT!
imFuu2P.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh yeah, that's my baby! Ain't that one pretty pipe? Now imagine it turning a golden walnut color over the first year you smoke it. Oooh-la-la.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
It's funny how tastes vary. I can appreciate the shape, but it doesn't speak to me. And then, out of nowhere, the 320KS has had me hypnotized all year so far and keeping the PAD going...
I'm sure I'll be collecting Zulus in a year. Gotta love PAD.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
r, I know. There are pipe shapes and carvers that make others swoon that just don't call to me at all. I guess that's why there is such an enticing variety of pipes and why some of us fall under the spell of another one every few months ... weeks. Just to explain what I'm seeing in the 404 shape -- it has a lot of gracefulness without being delicate, a subtle curve to the shank/stem, a good balance, and sufficient bowl without being blocky or bowl-heavy. I guess to others it might fall in the "meh" category, but it exudes energy to me. I'm not a blowfish guy, but I'm glad there are those who have a row, or rows, of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.